Lookin at a DD (cougar)

ShoMeSomeFun

Just asking questions about 2002 Mercury Cougars. A buisness partner of my dad down here in georgia is selling his wifes mercury cougar for $4800 for me. Its 5 speed, leather, power everything, sunroof, 17" wheels, 71,000 miles, new tires, breaks, no known problems this guy is legit been doing buisness with him for awhile. And if I trade him my worn down car, he will knock down the price to 2300. My question is are there any major issues with these cars that i should look out for, and would you take the deal.

They handle suprisingly well, especially for a front wheel drive. The 4cyl manual actually has a 50/50 weight dist. Obviously, the 6 isn't too far off from that. The 2002 6cyl is the one I have exp with. There is a brake recall, I think it had to do something... shit, I can't remember exactly, but it has to do with the brake/abs system. (If you really need to know, pm me and I'll find out for sure. Just can't look for paperwork right now.) You won't find an extensive performance aftermarket for them, but all the svt contour parts are swappable and will make for a fun little daily. Decent gas milage for a 6 especially on the highway. Alignment has to be perfect or it will eat some tires up quick. Many people find the seats to be uncomfortable, but I'm betting the leather seats will be a bit more comfortable due to a few design differences. That's it for now. If you have anymore questions just pm me.

i'm a guru on the engines. they risk eating main bearings if not kept up on oil changes or oil level. always run 5-20 oil and 6qts with every oil change. the waterpumps go around 55k-80k so if it hasnt gone yet it will. other than that the cars are next to bullet proof, they're the exact same car as a ford contour with a diff shell, they share all suspension, brakes , and engine/tranny stuff.

Someone has to be negative in this post. I work for a buy here pay here and help with purchasing the cars. We wont buy these cars anymore cause reliability above 100k seems to go down the drain. The rear struts on every one we have had have had major problems with the supports rusting out. Interiors dont seem to hold up very well sunroofs seem to leak. Can be a expensive car if it starts needing fixed. All of the five speed cars have had to have the clutch replaced. But just like any other car if something is taken car of well it will last. I guess for 2500-5k there are alot other cars i would pick before a cougar.

They handle suprisingly well, especially for a front wheel drive. The 4cyl manual actually has a 50/50 weight dist. Obviously, the 6 isn't too far off from that. The 2002 6cyl is the one I have exp with. There is a brake recall, I think it had to do something... shit, I can't remember exactly, but it has to do with the brake/abs system. (If you really need to know, pm me and I'll find out for sure. Just can't look for paperwork right now.) You won't find an extensive performance aftermarket for them, but all the svt contour parts are swappable and will make for a fun little daily. Decent gas milage for a 6 especially on the highway. Alignment has to be perfect or it will eat some tires up quick. Many people find the seats to be uncomfortable, but I'm betting the leather seats will be a bit more comfortable due to a few design differences. That's it for now. If you have anymore questions just pm me.

fun fact for ya the first year the cougar was reinterduced the 4 cylinder was a mistake. was supposed to a v6 only but just over 2,000 units were made. they never sold them to the public but were sold to ford employees under the group b program. A friend of ours had one took it to a jiffy lube and they put the wrong oil filter an the v6 amount of oil in the engine (since there were no specs released for the 4). Needless to say the engine was released at 5,000 miles.

fun fact for ya the first year the cougar was reinterduced the 4 cylinder was a mistake. was supposed to a v6 only but just over 2,000 units were made. they never sold them to the public but were sold to ford employees under the group b program. A friend of ours had one took it to a jiffy lube and they put the wrong oil filter an the v6 amount of oil in the engine (since there were no specs released for the 4). Needless to say the engine was released at 5,000 miles.

Really? Hmm, coulda sworn I'd seen a 4 before. Interesting trivia.

One other thing I know. Many people have probs with the alternators. Honestly, I don't think it's the alternator itself, but the horrid location. It picks up alot of crap. Had to replace hers once already. No other problems on said car. No leaks, etc. Car has spent half it's life up north and half in Texas. (No salt)