Car radio / IPOD help

Vulcan900

Hi all,

I have a 2002 Subaru with the stock 6 disk CD changer.

I am trying to figure out the best way to get my Ipod hooked up to my car radio.

Right now I have one of those radio transmitters and it sounds like shit.

I went to Best buy just to see what was there and they did have a Harmon-Karde(spelling??) system for 100 dollars that was universal and would work with my car. BUT the guy said the sound quality wasnt that great. And it had a screen you had to set up and seperate controller. Not really what I was looking for.

The other thing he suggested was an FM modulator that hooks into the radio antenna. This sounded good so I bought one. I got home and have done some research and found that again people say the quality isnt the best.

It looks like there are some generic set ups out there but non that will work with a stock WRX radio.

SOOOOO...... any one have any suggestions? I have looked on nasioc and found a home made kit for 97ish dollars that looks promising, but again I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Guest sti06

If you are willing to spend some money go with a new head unit w/ ipod adapter. At first I had a rather cheap pioneer one with ipod adapter and it worked great.

Then I moved up to the Panasonic double-din CQ-VD6503U with ipod adapter and that's even better. It looks factory in a wrx or sti and works great. Also, it's only priced about $500 which isn't bad for a double-din.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I couldn't find a good way to hook up my Ipod to the stock cd player as well.

Guest sti06
I keep thinking of things after I already posted. But another benefit to using a new head unit is being able to control the Ipod from the head unit. I have my ipod connection in the glove compartment. The double-din shows the song, artist etc. and it is touch-screen and you can go to whatever song/playlist/artist you want.

I hadnt really thought of going to a different head unit. I dont think that is the way I feel like going. It might be in the future. Really I just wanted to hook up my ipod to my radio.

Thanks for the idea. I honestly didnt even think of buying a new radio. I was a little frustrated at best buy. There are some aftermarket kits to do what I need, but none of them work for subarus(new or old)

I will post a link to they home made thing that is for sale.

Here it is:

http://www.jazzyengineering.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=47

I bought a 2007 stock radio and put it in my 05 and the 07 does sirius and has an aux in for ipod. 07 radios are plug and play 02-06. I don't worry about my car getting broken into because it is a stock radio. Also the 07 plays mp3 and WMA cds.

I bought a 2007 stock radio and put it in my 05 and the 07 does sirius and has an aux in for ipod. 07 radios are plug and play 02-06. I don't worry about my car getting broken into because it is a stock radio. Also the 07 plays mp3 and WMA cds.

Damn, thats prolly the winner right there. Is Subaru the only place to get one?

I am trying a google search now, but any info on where to start looking would be great. Thanks

Guest sti06
Damn, thats prolly the winner right there. Is Subaru the only place to get one?

I am trying a google search now, but any info on where to start looking would be great. Thanks

Ebay

BLAH, my ebay searching skills are lacking. I gave the good govt road worker try and came up empty.

I will try again later. Again thanks for the ideas.

Looking on Nasioc now. Just making sure. Its only 07 radios that come with the aux port correct?

Guest sti06
Nope be patient and you can get one here in the private for sale threads, ricers sell them to put in the big Pioneer Avic Z1 navigation units. :rolleyes:

http://www.nasioc.com

I got mine for $150 shipped, back in Jan when they just came out.

Yep those damn ricers. 150 is kinda expensive for a stock unit, isn't it? I figure 100 max for a used one.

yeah, but I wanted sirius and needed it and paid 150. You'll :eek: when I tell you:

I paid Subaru $330 for the sirius tuner so I can have sirius in my car without one of the ugly, crappy sounding fm transmitter radios they sell. Then I had to buy an antenna! :lol: But in the end it looks so clean, and I really really like sirius. And again the common thief will just move along.

This seems the way to go. I may have to give my girlfriend an IOU for the radio but I think I am going to just get a stock one and make it easy on myself.

After looking on nasioc I just missed one that was for sale the other day for 125 shipped. I am sure in time I can find one.

Guest sti06

Yeah Sirius is awesome. I have it in my other vehicle.

Anyways, back to the Ebay thing. I just mentioned that because that is where I sold my stock unit. There's usually a few floating around on there, not too many '07 units yet though.

Forget all that. I just picked up a GT610 Sony and it has IPOD doc and ipod control from the deck. I really like it. It also sound better then the stock radio and support thumb drives with mp3s.

Aux inputs usually have a lower quality then a direct connection.This is because the line levels of the output on the ipod (Gain)

I spent 200$ for the one i put in the wrx last night that includes metra no cut wireharness

Yeah erric I will see If I can find my digi. Only thing i need to pick up is the space filler. Its a single din radio in a double din slot. So my bottom is open (Circuit city has them but I was not paying there price)

It fits perfect other then the bottom din. You can buy the spacer. If you buy the radio and mount/harnesses from million buy you can save a buck or 2.