Mixing oil-Synthetic and non synthetic

xtremef4i

I know these oil threads have been debated several times and Im sure my question has been covered numerous times, but All I simply want to know is this:

I normally run the Honda HP-4 synthetic oil in my bike. Since I am due for an oil change before I officially put it up for storage, I was wondering if it would be ok to put the Honda GN-4 non synthetic oil in over winter time. Since its reccommended to change oil before you store the bike and again before you start riding in the spring again due to condensation collecting and deteroration of the viscosity of the oil over extended time periods; I would change out the non synthetic oil and put the synthetic oil back in, in the spring.

My only reasoning for going from synthetic to non synthetic, back to synthetic is to save some coin.

I am not interested in replys that tell me how to winterize a bike or what oil to use, etc... all I want to know is will be ok to use the non synthetic oil during winter only and then switch back to my normal synthetic in the spring. I want to avoid this becoming a big "what oil to use debate." Thanks in advance.

Yes, there's no special black magic that makes it impossible to switch back. Hell you can run 50/50 if you want, or any combination in between. Run Syn this week, pull it and put dyno juice in it next week, then in a month drain half and top off with synthetic.

Personally I don't see why the hell you'd change the oil just to put it in storage.

Yes, there's no special black magic that makes it impossible to switch back. Hell you can run 50/50 if you want, or any combination in between. Run Syn this week, pull it and put dyno juice in it next week, then in a month drain half and top off with synthetic.

Personally I don't see why the hell you'd change the oil just to put it in storage.

+1 to all that

leave the old oil in when you put it in storage, then change it when you take it out.

I am WAAAAAYYY overdue for an oil change. I rode the bike pretty hard this season and I know its in need of some fresh juice. I dont want the myth of the acids produced from the used oil to eat any seals or deteroirate any internals. Im anal about my bike (those of you who know me know this) and taking care of it. So Im just goinna follow the manual and it will make me feel better about it.

I know these oil threads have been debated several times and Im sure my question has been covered numerous times, but All I simply want to know is this:

I normally run the Honda HP-4 synthetic oil in my bike. Since I am due for an oil change before I officially put it up for storage, I was wondering if it would be ok to put the Honda GN-4 non synthetic oil in over winter time. Since its reccommended to change oil before you store the bike and again before you start riding in the spring again due to condensation collecting and deteroration of the viscosity of the oil over extended time periods; I would change out the non synthetic oil and put the synthetic oil back in, in the spring.

My only reasoning for going from synthetic to non synthetic, back to synthetic is to save some coin.

I am not interested in replys that tell me how to winterize a bike or what oil to use, etc... all I want to know is will be ok to use the non synthetic oil during winter only and then switch back to my normal synthetic in the spring. I want to avoid this becoming a big "what oil to use debate." Thanks in advance.

I am a girl and I know nothing about motorcycles. I read owner's manuals, read service manuals, play with my bike, and ask a ton of questions. I think what you plan on doing will NOT do any harm to your bike. It should be dandy......run the bike to a hot operating temp in the spring prior to draining the winter oil. You should get it hot before changing oil anyways. Yeah? It should clear out most all the non-synthetic when you drain it. Heck with the owner's manuals, I always get myself in a mess when I follow them. ;) if it doesn't work out for you let me know...ok? :D

HP4 blends the heat-stability and shear-resistance of synthetic oil with the lubricity of mineral oil to get the best of both worlds.
http://powersports.honda.com/the_goods/parts_and_service/detail.asp?ProductGroup=4%2DStroke+Oils&PartValue=Pro%2DHonda+HP4+10W40&PartId=08C35-A14W0M&TheGoodsDir=1

Yes, it's ok to mix them, especially since both are Honda brand. The HP4 is part synthetic and part mineral. So using straight GN4 mineral is ok.

The reason for putting fresh oil in at storage time, is to get the contaminated oil out. There are acidic byproducts of combustion in the used oil. They are not good for the internal metal parts. If your current oil wasn't in the bike for very long, it's not a big deal, you can leave it in.

you can put in whatever you want. but why not save yourself even more coin and just put the oil in it over winter you are gonna run next summer?? there shouldnt the that much of a heat fluxuation in your garage to cause that much condensation withing the motor.

I am WAAAAAYYY overdue for an oil change. I rode the bike pretty hard this season and I know its in need of some fresh juice. I dont want the myth of the acids produced from the used oil to eat any seals or deteroirate any internals. Im anal about my bike (those of you who know me know this) and taking care of it. So Im just goinna follow the manual and it will make me feel better about it.

You're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy overdue for an oil change, yet you're anal about you bike?

Bullshit.