1996 Z28 overheating problem

Bigbird

hey guys, my buddy is having a problem with his '96 z28. whenver he is sitting at idle for a while, it begins to overheat. when he's driving, it doesnt. the problem he figured was that the fans arent turning on. he checked the fuses, and none were blown.

do you guys have any suggestions, i dont know where to look for anything that controls the fans, and he doesnt feel like getting raped at a dealership to get it fixed. any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

the problem he figured was that the fans arent turning on.

Is this a for sure or he's just guessing?

A common problem is the antifreeze in the early 4th gens was corrosion build up in the heater core. To solve that I seen it take as many as 3 coolant flushes to get everything out.

Fan come on with a/c if its got it?

a cloged heater core isn't going to keep the fans from comming on. if he lost both fans at the same time i would be looking at ground 106 if there is power to and from the relay. looks like it bolts to the core support http://www.alldatapro.com/alldata/PRO~V60199489~C23366~R0~OB0~P4R0H~N/0/41746574/42420355/42420364/42420365/34853741/34869956/34871502/86617917/86619196/62428969

my 96 lt1 formula did this and it was for sure the fuse.... no idea why it spontaneously failed but it did- replaced it and never had another problem...

I did have an air bubble once after changing the thermostat but once it cleared itself it ran great-

Heater core plugged itself and I had crappy heat until I flushed it...

So yeah you have gotten really good advice so far...