bailout number 3? good read.

natedogg624

I can say this as a mechanic who has worked at a toyota and dodge dealer and I now work at a independent shop where I work on all brands. Dodge can not build a tranny, ball joints are notorius and oil filter housing leaks. Chevy is notorius for hub bearings, upper intake, transmission pan seals (usually under 20k), Ford is known for valve cover leaks, and varius squeaking, Toyotas and Hondas are known for needing oil changes! With that said I have a 2 fords and a chevy. So I am not dogging "American" cars. Besides toyota and honda is the most american car on the road.

Edited by f4isvt

Seriously I just love how everyone thinks American cars are junk. Thats pretty much the standard, default response anymore. MAYBE if you all would climb your happy fuckin ass into an American built car and actually look at it instead of saying 'my uncle had a Celebrity in 1987 and it was junk I'm not even gonna look at them' and actually haul your happy ass out to a GM, Ford, or DCM dealer and LOOK for youselves you'd see that their actually exceptionally nice cars. I travel allot for work and I've been in more rental cars than just about anyone on this board. I've rented everything from Cobalts, Focus', Solaras, Camerys, Chargers, Accords, and on and on and on. you know the cars I've found that have the best fit, the new GM's. I rented a Cobalt literally 3 days after I was in a Camery and a week after I was in an Accord, and these are all new model year cars. That cobalt had WORLDS better fit and finish than either of the imports.

and it's consistently higher quality among the American brands.

But thats now what car and driver, or MT says. so instead of doing your own research just listen to what they say and let some over egotistical snob writer who has no clue about automobiles make up your mind for you. and just go straight to what they say and do what they say.

WE are the reason American auto makers are failing. We've got a sour taste in our mouth, and like little kids we refuse to take a second stab at it. but god forbid if someone doesn't give us a second chance.

Uncle has a Chevy SS Impala V8 (2007). Was just over $30k. My mom has a BMW 330i (06)and my dad has a BMW 330is (07). Now, my mom's car is just over $30k and dad's was about $42k. They are actually very much in the same class, but let's compare mom's vs. the Impala.

Interior on the Chevy is shit. Plastic everything and very cheap feeling. Leather is nice and subtle. The automatic is very out of place and has a bunch of cheap looking chrome rings around everything.

Mom's BMW is VERY nice inside. Leather feels a little richer - not by much, but the seats feel more sporty and more supporting for spirited driving. The trim is a wood look in cherry and very high gloss. Very much a rich feeling interior.

The Chevy is front wheel drive with a V8. Torque steer is very noticeable and prominent. Accelerates well, but doesn't hit as strong as you'd expect. Was told it has 300 hp. Mom's car is 225.

Mom's inline 6 is beefy and has good low end torque. I really only drove dad's back to back with the Chevy and his Sport inline is supposed to be 325 or something. Whatever it really is doesn't matter - it wipes the Impala's ass... Not in this comparo so, mom's feels stronger down low.

The chevy has VERY noticeable body roll. Feels somewhat heavy and sloppy.

Mom's car was very solid. Did understeer a tad as the wheel combo on her car is the basic 17s and it pushes slightly. Dad's? I'd almost autocross it...

Overall, if you are looking at a $30k Chevy vs/ a $30k German car, chances are unless you are blind or feel you should only buy Canadian, I mean Mexican, I mean an American car only since we are Americans, the German car wins out in quality, performance, and ergonomics.

Now, the new Malibu is a good car. The interior is better and it is actually a very Euro looking machine. So is the new G8. However, again, if compared to the Euro cars, they fall short. Hell, even the Cadillac CTS isn't quite up to par and doesn't feel as rich nor as performance as the BMW does and it is right there in price.

Point is that for the money, there are a LOT of other cars that perform better and are better in quality.

Dad's lease is up on the 330 and is looking at another BMW (335is and the 5 series). He has seen the Cadillac for 2009 and isn't really excited as he tried it out in 07 and just wasn't as happy when he drove it.

Again, for $40k plus and what GM has to offer, he's left feeling they really aren't able to compete. He thinks the Mercedes and Audi have more to offer...

If we want a bailout, do it right. Give the money to the people. Give a tax rebate to anyone who buys an American car. Everyone wins, even the IRS, they get more people filing taxes, apparently a lot of them don't.

There's something to be said about that. What if they gave each one of us a $20k credit towards the purchase of a new car.

One, what if they didn't limit you as to what you would buy? I think a lot of people would buy foreign.

Two, they limit that credit to only US based companies like GM, Ford or Chrysler? I'd do it. I'd buy a new truck and trade the one I got in. Otherwise, I'd pass...