1998 TA Knock sensor replace?

clayton006

Hello all,

Well I just purchased another bird again so I'm back in the picture. I have a question though. My car is kinda running rough almost like a motor mount is snapped or something (not jumping or missing, but just feels like it's shaking a bit. It's got plenty of power.) and this car has a code in it. It is the knock sensor low input code. So I'm asuming that the knock sensor could be bad. Could this cause my engine to run a bit rough. I'm asuming it could.

Second, where is that thing located and how hard is it to change? I'll probably end up doing it today if it's not that hard. Is there more than one on it?

Thanks for your help!!

Yes, it could. If it's a false knock to the point of running rough, that's because the PCM is pulling too much timing thinking the car is detonating.

There's a pair of them in the valley cover under the intake manifold. You need to figure out which one is the one throwing the code (front or rear).

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5

There's directions with pics on how to remove and reinstall your intake.

ALSO:

Be very CAREFUL when removing the harness off of the sensor(s) it self. The plastic has become very very brittle of the years on these car and it is nothing for it to break.

GM p/n:15320925 which is also the AC Delco p/n as well. Go ahead ask me how I know :o

Make sure you or a friend has a IN LB torque wrench to properly torque down the intake and I believe that right up tells you you can re-use the gaskets on the intake. :woowoo:

Sounds like I may just wait to get an LS6 intake manifold since I don't drive this car much, boy this job sounds like a pain. Thanks for the quick responses.

very very basic job

its like 10 bolts (off the head guess) and 3 couplers and 1 vacuum hose and 1 hose to the master cyl (vacuum i believe)

Hell I can have my intake off the car in like 5-10 minutes

just make sure ALL couplers are disconnected!

Looking at that thread... will I really need the new harnasses put in? I just want the car to run close to stock at the moment.

Also, I heard people re-using the gaskets, but I wasn't so sure about that. Should I change mine out?

i would go delco, if you come over to pick up that air dam i can show what you need to take off. i've never had to replace the wire harness on one and the gaskets are reuseable aslong as there not cut or damaged.

Yeah I'll stop by sometime either Wednesday or Thursday (whichever is best for you) and we can take a look. I've had my LT1 intake off before (with the help of Josh M.) but never tackled this one yet.

At least my new thermostat is working :-)

Well, the two delco knock sensors did not take care of the problem. It ran a lot better for about 1 hour, then the code threw again and it started running rough. The code is the knock sensor circuit low input code (the guy at autozone didn't say which bank it was reporting back, I may want to have the codes scanned again)

It looked like one of the connectors to the rear knock module had a little bit of oil or some liquid around it. Could this now be a problem with the connector? It didn't look like a lot of fluid....

Any other suggestions?

Looking at that thread... will I really need the new harnasses put in? I just want the car to run close to stock at the moment.

Also, I heard people re-using the gaskets, but I wasn't so sure about that. Should I change mine out?

most replace the harness since it gets brittle over time.

Well strange thing happend. I got home from AJ's house and put on the air dam. I started driving down the road and the SES light went off.

I started and stopped the car a few times and the light never came (and stayed back on, the light still worked when it tests all of them at the beginning of a start)

So it looks like it might be ok now, but it still has a good miss to it. Looks like I have to start from scratch on that!