2 trannys in 2 months

TEXASS

i couple days ago i ask for some tranny help. i have a TH400 with a B&M stall,4 months ago i put a 468 BBC in my everyday driver, 2 months after i put ithe motor in, the tranny broke in half on the bell houseing right in front of the pan,so 2 months later (today) this afternoon going to whitecastle i felt a vibration, looked under the truck the tranny was broke in the same damn spot as the old one. lucky jegs gave me a new one. heres a pic of the old 1st tranny i dont have a pic of the 2nd one but its looks the same. but i dont understand why it keeps on breaking any one have any clues?

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l143/LOUD85GMC/Picture108.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l143/LOUD85GMC/Picture107.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l143/LOUD85GMC/Picture.jpg

it made 503HP at the crank and 300 at the wheels, so i dont know

That would be a 40% loss due to the driveline. That seems HIGH to me. Are these stock replacements? Or built for power?

It should be built....IMO.

KillJoy

That would be a 40% loss due to the driveline. That seems HIGH to me. Are these stock replacements? Or built for power?

It should be built....IMO.

KillJoy

well its a 2 peace driveshaft with a carrier bearing turning 14inch drums,the only problems i had since the motors has been the the truck is the broken trannys and getting enough fuel to the motor

well its a 2 peace driveshaft with a carrier bearing turning 14inch drums,the only problems i had since the motors has been the the truck is the broken trannys and getting enough fuel to the motor

But....are these built Trans' or stockers???

KillJoy

Looks to me like the trans is binding ..the motor is twisting and flexing pushing the bell against the body and snap …seen this with solid trans mount on the trans and reg old rubber motor mounts. look around the trans tunnel see if you can see where it may be hitting .............something is binding ..its not the case…..TH400 are tuff …now if it was a TH350,,,,,,,,,,,

That or the engine mounts are weak and there is to much weight one the trans

you need to check and see if the bbc setup for your truck uses a different driveshaft than the stock sbc one your using now

check the carrier bearing and make sure its not broken or chnage to one piece drive shaft

if thats all kosher your tranny mount needs to be softer than your engine mount

the picture looks like the engine is moving but the trans isn't so check for broken or loose motor mounts also

worst case run a block plate and rubber trans mount

hope this helps

no not like that, idont kow how i missed this, i put new motor mounts in the truck about 2 months before i put the BB in. but i did'nt think is there a differnce between sb and bb motor mounts. so my only guess is i have has the sb motor mounts in there the whole time and its not inline.