Help with Power steering pump 98TA

clayton006

Hello,

I've never done this before so I'm just looking for a little help. I need to replace my power steering pump on my 98 WS6 TA. I have the pulley puller and pump and fluid ready to go, I just need an extra hand, or someone willing to help me get this off. I'd just like to learn how to do it.

I know it's not difficult at all to get this taken care of, but just need a little assistance. I can provide some cash and/or beer for the trouble.

Thanks in advance,

Clayton

first take off anything that impedes acces to the power steering pump and the drive belt then take off the belt follow the directons that come with the puller and pull the pulley off then unbolt the lines and the pump from the motor

botl new pump on hook up lines use bolt and nut that come with the new pump to press pulley back on reinstall belt fill pump with fluid start engine turn wheel back and forth a few times check fluid level repeat untill whining noise stops and your done

shouldn't take more than an hour or so

hth

The bolts holding it on are covered up by the pulley. If it has the plastic pulley (I think all LS1 cars do), it's difficult to get it off without breaking it. Alot of people just buy a new pulley and break the old one off by levering against it with a prybar (prying outwards against the back of the pulley until it shatters). This saves alot of time, and is a good excuse to upgrade to something like the Turn One pulley, which is kind of blingy and expensive, but it allows access to the bolts for next time.