Clearcoat Damage

bowser3110

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get scratches out of my clearcoat. My ex cleaned my car for me about a year ago and used a green scratch pad to get the bugs off. Now I have white spots all over from the damage. I don't know if I need a new paint job. If anyone could throw any tips my way I would appreciate it. I have tried Nufinish but doesn't seem to hold up. Thanks

Is it scratched through the clear? You have to level it off with the surrounding clear to make it go away (wetsanding, buffing , etc)...the problem is if the scratches are deep enough then you'll be removing all of the surrounding clear in the process of making the marks go away and that's pretty counter productive.

Brian,

One last note. I'm not sure if you've ever attempted to remove 1500 marks by hand but it's a daunting task. If you're having troubles it might be well worth your time and money to do the sanding work yourself and then have 360 or myself buff them out and do the finishing work for you.

Andy

Brian,

One last note. I'm not sure if you've ever attempted to remove 1500 marks by hand but it's a daunting task. If you're having troubles it might be well worth your time and money to do the sanding work yourself and then have 360 or myself buff them out and do the finishing work for you.

Andy

Hey Brian listen to him. This is the guy I use and the one who detailed the blue Odyssey. If it does not come out this weekend it is well worth the money to have him check it out. (Side note, I got your message, Thanks. I will be home tomorrow.)

Andy, I still have to get you to check out my truck and see if you can do anything with it. It still has the hail damage. Also the Jimmy is up and running so I will need to get that done too at some point.

I think I will try it out my self this weekend, to see if I can get it. I will definitely keep you guys in mind if it becomes too much. Thanks again.

One last tip to help you along. Not sure what polish you intend to use but try the least agressive method first to get the marks out....i.e. start with an agressive compound or polish first and see if you can get the marks out before doing further sanding...after all the scotchbrite pad is basically like sanding in the first place so you may be able to take out the markings with just an agressive compound.

If that doesn't work, it may make things easier on you if you can find 2000 and 3000 (or 2500) paper locally (either in place of or following the 1500 grit) as polishing out the sanding marks will be much easier if you finish twith the finer paper.

Andy