looking at a4: audi people

turbomark

I'm looking at an audi a4, it's a first generation (1998) 2.8 quattro a4. I'm just wondering what I should look for if considering this car. I know that they're generally reliable (although a lot of small shit goes wrong with them). I know that the ac isn't working although I don't know what's wrong with it. If anyone knows of any specific problem areas I should look for and how to check them that would be great. Any help would be appreciated.

The front control arms always go bad, the timming belt needs to be changed around 100k, wheel bearings, abs modules, valve cover gaskets, coils..... If you get one of these cars plan on atleast spending 2gs in repairs, if you take it to a garage to have the work done.

its just little shit usually, but the front control arm bushings do need done on 99.99% cars by 75k miles. more importantly, how much is it? Because you can get them CHEAP nowadays.

http://www.audiworld.com for more information than you'll ever want. Board format sucks but it's a great resource.

http://www.audizine.com is an OK source as well...not as good technical info as Audiworld though.

As stated...Count on needing to do control arms. I think the 2.8's had a timing chain not belt and it was 100k ish when it needed to be replaced which is spendy.

My 1.8T A4 has been very pain free for the 5+ years and 150K+ miles that I've owned it...Sure every car will have little things here and there but it's been a real pleasure owning my A4. I've been happy enough with it to where if / when it gets replaced it will be replaced with a newer A4.

Andy

My 1.8T A4 has been very pain free for the 5+ years and 150K+ miles that I've owned it...

I've been happy enough with it to where if / when it gets replaced it will be replaced with a newer A4.

Andy

haha. What about that front bumper to replace the belts? fun time there huh? I guess it's been good other than that...oh and the ABS module. Still gets compliments all the time though.

I call BS on the second portion though.

haha. What about that front bumper to replace the belts? fun time there huh? I guess it's been good other than that...oh and the ABS module. Still gets compliments all the time though.

I call BS on the second portion though.

Like I said...little things here and there but I still managed to do the job myself...it was the origional s-Belt that should have been replaced long before 135k miles.

ABS module would not have been an isssue if the car wasn't hit but some un-insured ASS.

I'd rock a B6 or B7 A4...but every time I try to find a reason to replace the current A4 I can't do it.

check for leaks (valve cover gasket, dipstick gasket, differential), check coil packs, front suspension kit as others said, abs control module, abs pump. My 1.8t has been trouble free for about 12,000 miles. Just make sure your up to date on the maintenance and you'll be just fine.

I had a 99.5 for a few years.. Nice, fun cars, but make sure you have some decent $$$ set aside for repairs. The most common mechanical problems from what I've seen (I still frequent audiworld.com) are wheel bearings and control arms. The problem a lot of people have is that they are cheap to obtain nowadays, but the cost of repairs has not gotten any cheaper and they are showing their age. Make sure you learn up on them before buying one because they can be money pits if you do not stay up on your maintenance.

Audiworld.com is a great resource, search and you will find more than you will ever care to know about these cars.

Maintenance is a BITCH!

After this Audi is out of warranty /sold, I'll be buying another one. However, I would never own one out of warranty. Audi CPO cars are a great bargain. Get one thats a few years old, and your looking @ usually %50 or less of the original MSRP and you get a great warranty / service.