replaced cam sensor still runs bad 97 chevy monte carlo 3100 v6

CJINOHIO03

Well I replaced the cam sensor and car still runs like shit misfires. I didt have a volt meter. What else can it be? Wiring? If the crank sensor was bad isnt there a code just for that? What module are you taling about Dave? Thanks CJ

Guest 614Streets
Well I replaced the cam sensor and car still runs like shit misfires. I didt have a volt meter. What else can it be? Wiring? If the crank sensor was bad isnt there a code just for that? What module are you taling about Dave? Thanks CJ

Did you run a scanner? Is the intake gaskets ok? No milkshake in the oil or froth on the oil fill cap underside? Checked plugs , bad injector?

Guest 614Streets
intake won't make a 3100 run bad.

Ive had to do plenty of 3100's where they did run horrible because of bad intake gaskets , not only that but if the oil milkshakes from circulating with dexcool the hydralic roller lifters can colapse , I know Ive seen it first hand. If you change out gaskets on a 3100 -3400 you should always clean/check the lifters , the engine will run like shit wit a collapsed lifter.

leaky fuel injector? plug/plug wire. Pull the plug and see if it's drenched in fuel. At least it's a front cylinder and not the rear PITA one :).

Swap the injector with another one and see if the misfire moves to another cylinder.

So those are the only codes now? No Cam Position Sensor code? Could be a bad wire, plug, or fuel injector. You could measure the resistance in the wire, should be less than at least 10 ohms. You could try to swap #3 spark plug with a known good cylinder to see if it switches cylinders, you could try to listen to the injectors with a stethoscope to see if it's operating correctly.

leaky fuel injector? plug/plug wire. Pull the plug and see if it's drenched in fuel. At least it's a front cylinder and not the rear PITA one :).

Swap the injector with another one and see if the misfire moves to another cylinder.

99% of the time they are stuck closed from deposits

Guest 614Streets
So those are the only codes now? No Cam Position Sensor code? Could be a bad wire, plug, or fuel injector. You could measure the resistance in the wire, should be less than at least 10 ohms. You could try to swap #3 spark plug with a known good cylinder to see if it switches cylinders, you could try to listen to the injectors with a stethoscope to see if it's operating correctly.

This is what I would do. And you can pick up a mechanic stethoscope cheap at habor frieght.