Newsgroup howto NO56K (Roadrunner is free)

thorne

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
I've heard from numerous people that Time Warner is eliminating newsgroups here in Columbus. After a little googling I see that Time Warner has done this already in New York.

Any truth to this?

Well I just tried it and all it downloaded was 300 some messages saying the services was discontinued. :mad:

It had a link to here: message

"

I cannot access Road Runner Newsgroups or download articles?

As of June 23, 2008, Road Runner will no longer offer Newsgroups, however users can subscribe on their own to third party News providers.

Why is Road Runner discontinuing their own Newsgroups service?

Due to low subscriber usage Road Runner has decided to discontinue Newsgroups service as of June 23, 2008.

If I still want a news service, what can I do?

Subscribers can choose to use a third party service and purchase on their own through that service. There are many providers with offerings, as an example here are several providers:

* Easynews

* Newshosting

* UsenetServer

When is the last day that Road Runner Newsgroups service will be available?

Newsgroups service will cease on June 23, 2008.

"

Now you can pay to use giganews which is what I'm doing or you can do what ever you want. I do suggest if your going to use torrents to turn off your sharing.

Downloading don't get you in trouble

Uploading/sharing does.

Good call eric, seems pretty reasonable! Unlimited (1mb speed limit) for $10/month not too bad..... http://www.news.astraweb.com/plans.html

Anyone else know of other good deals to consider? I only saw 600k/sec if i was lucky!!!

On another note, is Insight affected? I did not get any notice, but know that Insight uses Time Warner....

good catch eric!

It is 1 Mbit/s.... Megabit

1 megabit = 10^6 = 1,000,000 bits which is equal to 125,000 bytes. In kilobytes this is either 125 kB (decimal meaning) or about 122 kB (122 KiB) (binary meaning).

What speed do you see from Astra?

Unlimited DSL 3 Months $39/3 Months

The 30meg a sec is a untrue number. Due to the limitations of docsis and the binfiles. You can burst for a microsec but in reality it was 15mbit if your rr elite

I was just going by what Grabit was reporting. It was downloading so fast I was wondering if I was getting anything more than a bunch of empty files.

good catch eric!

It is 1 Mbit/s.... Megabit

1 megabit = 10^6 = 1,000,000 bits which is equal to 125,000 bytes. In kilobytes this is either 125 kB (decimal meaning) or about 122 kB (122 KiB) (binary meaning).

What speed do you see from Astra?

Unlimited DSL 3 Months $39/3 Months

Depends on the time of day and if I use the USA server or the Europe. During non peak hours it maxes out my internet connection. This is with only 5 connections open to the server. I average around 600K