CTS-V Information

Lustalbert

CTS-V's are sweet cars. They are 4 door corvettes, I don't care how you cut it. There are 1 or 2 guys that autocross CTS-V's regularly. They sound amazing with exhausts on them, and on the whole are the only sedan of that size that I would willingly own.

My wife is waiting for the '08 CTS-V to come out in the spring.

Not so she can get that one, but so that the '04-'07s will drop in price. It is by far the only car she wants to buy to replace her Passat.

Overall, the only real negatives I've heard are the '04s had a bad axle hop problem (replacement aftermarket suspension parts will solve that problem) and the dashboard is plastic fantastic.

If you want a CTS-V, it really is because you want a 4-door Corvette. A used Audi S4, BMW M5, or Mercedes AMG would be comparable if it wasn't for the ease of ownership for a GM vehicle (readily available parts, easy and relatively cheap to service, massive performance gains from aftermarket). Honestly, I would pick an Evo or WRX over the CTS-V if it wasn't for the boy-racer stigma.

(Before you start flaming...TRUST ME ON THIS...the rest of the world thinks the Evo and WRX are "fast and furious" all day long. BOV sounds pulling up to a valet at a restaurant are NOT considered "upscale" :) )

Negative. House on wheels is about 3 times what I want to spend on the wifes car. Yes, sadly the wife will be getting this machine, but I will be driving it from time to time (when I change the oil and wash it)

Also need the 4 doors, just incase satan ever smiles and uses me to put his hellspawn on earth.

Overall, the only real negatives I've heard are the '04s had a bad axle hop problem (replacement aftermarket suspension parts will solve that problem) and the dashboard is plastic fantastic.

Details on this axle hop please?

Thanks for all the info thus far :nod:

Their decent cars, like Pat said 2 come to autocross frequently and do alright considering their weight. The owners have both mentioned the rear end issues for their cars making power more than stock and the wheel hop on launch. For what you want it for it should be a good car.

The axle hop is just some serious chatter and shuddering when you try to peel out from a standstill. If you're not goosing it too much, it shouldn't be an issue.

Regardless, I would stay away from an '04 just because it's the first year for the model.