Tranny Gods needed

billzie

Howdy,

I have a 79 Z28 350/350. It's been in storage for 10 years, in the beginning it was started every month or so, the last half of that time not so much. I pulled it out of the garage last month to put it up for sale, and finally got it started and running, but it just won't move worth a damn. I was able to barely get it out of the driveway and turned around and back in, maybe 1/3 mile. The tranny was rebuilt by a race tranny shop in WV just before going into storage, has less than 5K miles on it, has shift kit, valve body mods, higher stall tc, B&M shifter, etc. The fluid is at spec and looks/smells really good.

Do you tranny guys have any advice on the easy and simpler things for me to check to see if I can get it going well. I live in the boones and the only tranny shop is about 12 miles down the highway, and can't afford the tow or "inspection" fee.

Thanks in advance for your help, Bill.

What is it doing exactly? You could be draging a brake or bad fuel or roton lickage causing it to no be fully in gear etc etc.

Sorry, I shoulda gave more info.

I didn't notice and "skids" along my path when I made that little trip, had the rev the hell out of her just to make it.

I jacked up the rear and rear wheels moving freely by hand, and I'm believing it's in the tranny b/c I wasn't getting a great response then by having it in running and in gear.

Gas should be good, barely any it it to begin with and put a half tank (~12 gal) of 93 in it.

Seems to be engaging through shifting, just not actually moving???

Engine running very strong with no noticible big problems, needs typical carb tuning after all this time and new battery wouldn't hurt, both so she'll get back to starting at the flick of the ign like she used to.

Thanks, Bill.