Funny Thing about ACL replacement surgery. (Added Pic)

SpaceGhost

Ouch that does suck. I hope you feel better soon. Here I will share my pain stories.

3 years old I cut off my middle finger with scissors it was hanging on by a thread. Gushing blood everywhere says my mom. I don't remember it but have a scar to prove it.

5 years old got my leg caught in spokes of a bmx bike i was riding on the back of. ER room with ice on it. Don't remember much else.

18 years old Metal bar placed in my chest ontop of my sternum. Also this was bolted in the both sides of my ribs with a 2 inch metal plate. On top of that it is wrapped with metal wire to make sure it doesn't move. This was to fix the "bird chest" I had. 45 minute surgery... cut 2 inches on each side of my chest under my arm pits, insert bar shaped in a U, flip bar over and instantly pop chest out. That was in my chest for 3 years. Then it was removed. Talk about chronic pain... at least I got to save the bar that was inside me. :(

Do your PT! I had my ACL done on 2/26 of this year. Did PT three times a week as prescribed. I just had my strength test last Tuesday. Picked up my sports brace yesterday. I have full range. They used a donor patella tendon as the new ACL.

The first week is a bitch as they force flexion! OUCH!

that picture made me cringe damn dude. Atleast you are still alive. it could have been worse.

I tell you what yesterday I was about to ride to udf lid less. I never do that but I wanted a pop and the subby was not in a happy mood. I said fuck that I could easly end up like ben. Walked back in the house changed into jeans got my gear out saddled up and ened up be a great day the wife seen my gearing up said she wanted to ride and me and a friend went out for a 100 mile ride yesterday

that picture made me cringe damn dude. Atleast you are still alive. it could have been worse.

I tell you what yesterday I was about to ride to udf lid less. I never do that but I wanted a pop and the subby was not in a happy mood. I said fuck that I could easly end up like ben. Walked back in the house changed into jeans got my gear out saddled up and ened up be a great day the wife seen my gearing up said she wanted to ride and me and a friend went out for a 100 mile ride yesterday

:thumbup:

while i cant even pretend to know what that feels like, dont ever get an Inguinal hernia... took 7 full months for my swelling to go down AND it was 5 weeks before i could even muster up the strength to push my brake pedal. Worst part is i have to have ANOTHER surgery... sucks :(

May I ask a few questions?

1) Who was your surgeon?

2) Why did you not opt for a donor graft? If you chose the donor, you would have 5 small, small incisions. Plus, you would not have to worry about the therapy required to heal the patella tendon area.

The good news, they did not graft from your own hamstring. Quad and hamstring therapy is a big key when going through PT. With the strand of hammy gone, I have heard horror stories.

Dr. VanStein, I've been told by some of his peers he is the best around here.

I opted against the donor graft because with a donor graft you run the risk of having the procedure done again pretty soon because your body can "reject" the graft. You have the risk of disease even though they are screened. With my own tissue I think it will be stronger and last longer and no chance of disease. I play disc golf at a high level and I want to do so in the future. I know it is not NFL but with the way I throw the knee is an important part of throwing far. I guess what I am saying is I have more confidence with my own tissue than I do with someone else's. I know my lifestyle, I don't of a donors. Being that I am 32 I should recover well. If I was 10-20 years older I guess I would have done the donor tendon maybe.