Reasons for Running Rich . Thorne VS WRX Round 121

thorne

I'm confused when you say donor Foxbody, if you buy a rolling chassis what do you need the foxbody for? Or is that the engine and tranny you are talking about? I was hoping to be able to buy a built "crate motor" (427) and drop it right in with a tranny. Is this really expensive and I am stupid? I was thinking a reasonable price would be 20-30K for everything. I saw a complete car for sale a month ago for 70k! That got me worrying because if you can do it with the kit for 30k why would you buy one for 70K? Sorry for asking stupid questions as I am just looking into this. I love these cars and I would like cruising around in one on the weekends with my wife. My Father in law and mother in law would borrow it from time to time also. I would like to see yours when you get it done and bring it out.

Plenty of people pay to have it built and do only the best things and end up with 50k, EASY.

Yes, a 427 sounds cool, but is actually very much overkill for the car, in terms of power and cost. Good luck finding a complete crate motor 427 for under $10-$12k, that's half your $30k there.

I'm not 100% certain on the superformance cars, but if they do include brakes/suspension, etc, I'm sure they are quite a bit more than the $12k the Factory Five cobra kits are.

If you buy a factory five base kit you will need the Engine/trans, rear end, driveshaft, steering/suspension, wiring, fuel parts, and quite a few other things, so its just easier and cheaper to purchase a running/driving foxbody mustang for around $1-2k and tear it down in your garage. I actually came close to breaking even after selling off body parts and stuff I didn't need.

You have to realize you don't need a lot of of hp to have fun in these cars, they are around 2100-2200lbs and with a stock 5.0 and good tires they should run high 12's stock. Its not only how fast it is, its a wild ride just driving it, totally different than ANY car I've even been in, its so little, light, nimble, open, etc, its really a large go-cart.

It really depends on the kit you go with and if you want to have all new parts or if you're ok with cleaning/revamping used parts, and if you do the work yourself. If you pay to have this built I can EASILY see $20k in labor. Hell the body alone calls for 240hours of work. Going rate is probably about $40/hr, x 240hrs = 9600, plus materials. Definitely something to think about if you want a very awesome paintjob. My dad got his car resprayed, so the majority of bodywork was done and it was just a simple off body color change and it was between 3-4k.

Yes, a 427 sounds cool, but is actually very much overkill for the car, in terms of power and cost. Good luck finding a complete crate motor 427 for under $10-$12k, that's half your $30k there.

:eek:

You can buy a 650 HP chevy for 16K, hand built! That is crazy! I didn't think they would be that expensive. Could you do a 03-04 cobra motor and fit it in there? :lol:

Great info, thanks a bunch. Yep maybe the Fox body donor is the way to go. 10-12k would be easy to talk the wife into. Hell buying one for 17K would work too!

Thorne we are not talking about foxbodies, this is what we are talking about:

http://www.factoryfive.com/roadster/photo/daveriha/B1.jpg

I relized that. One of the guys I work with has one with a 5.0 in it. He said the 4.6 don't fit because it is wider. I was not sure about it. He seems to know his shit about them.

I spoke to a guy at QS&L with a cobra kit that liked my fox last year. Car weighed a smidge over a ton and had a 427 motor with a supercharger on it, bad ass little kit cars. My dad wants to build one in the next few years, we are going to use a donor sn95 on a factoryfive kit.