Rear caliper pistion

Bam

I attempted to do my rear pads/rotors on my wife's new to us 2000 jetta, but no luck. And now I can't even get the old worn out shit back in place.

The fronts went fine, quick too, then I spent 2 hrs on just ONE side rear. Needless to say I'M FUCKING PISSED right now.

It apparently turns, since it has the grooves and I can turn it with a pair of needle nose pliers, but it doesn't retract or anything, it just spins, what the fuck am I doing wrong? Shouldn't it just screw in like a screw would? I'm at 1.25" gap and I need 2" to fit the new pads/rotors in. 3/4" is huge and this thing won't budge.

Any ideas? Do I have to push on it when turning or what? Where could I get the right tool on a sunday? Autozone and Napa didn't have it today when I checked.

I picked up a cheap set at harbor freight for like $25. It's metal, and stands up fine to shop use. I wouldn't suggest it though, because it is hard to use correctly. If you want, PM me and I can try to swing by and give you a hand. It will take you hours and make you really sore if you do it without a good tool.

thanks to a local member who hooked me up with a caliper tool kit it took me 30 minutes to do both rears, after dicking with it so long.

The right tools can make anything easier. He said he got his at sears for like $60, I swear I'll probably run out and get myself one, even though I only do brakes a couple times a year, it was a good kit with many different attachments and it was a breeze.

thanks for the idea's guys, you have no idea how pissed I was earlier today, I'm just glad I got it done.

I also changed 3 plugs/wires but teh 4th is right under the center of the intake manifold and even though I might be able to get a ratchet on the plug, Ihave no way to remove/reinstall the wire firmly. Any ideas?

I picked up a cheap set at harbor freight for like $25. It's metal, and stands up fine to shop use. I wouldn't suggest it though, because it is hard to use correctly. If you want, PM me and I can try to swing by and give you a hand. It will take you hours and make you really sore if you do it without a good tool.

trust me I'm sore, mainly from crawling on the garage floor for so long and up/down so much, but a few busted knuckles don't help. Definitely one of the easier things to do on a car and it whooped my ass.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I've EVER done rear brakes on any car I've owned. I've done fronts plenty of cars, but I guess I don't keep cars long enough to require the rears being done, so I definitely learned how to do it quickly, luckily my buddy gave me a ride since the car was outta commission.

• 4 weeks later...