How to check if head gasket is blown? 96 Toyota Avalon 3.0 V6???

CJINOHIO03

My mom has a 1996 she bought new it looks like the head gasket might be bad. She has never beat it or over heated it, but the over flow coolant looks weird. The fluid is black oily looking and it has been changed within the last year. It is not over heating or anything nor is the oil milky. Is this common it has about 129k? I have read about head gasket problems about 3.0's in older trucks. Is this the same engine? Does the problems apply to Avalon's? Any recalls? Anybody have first hand experience? Whats the easiest way to check for blown gasket? If anybody had this repair how much did you pay to have it fixed etc? Thanks Cj

If it is a head gasket, you should hear some ticking while the engine is idling too. Just lift the hood and listen for a ticking sound around the area.

it would have to be an external leak, you might be thinking exhaust leak.

you can also feel the hoses, after you let the pressure out of them and put the radiator cap back on start the car and hold on to the hoses and rev it up some. granted there will be some pressure but if they get rock hard in a very short time (like a min or less if its real bad) then thats a good sign.

Guest Removed

block test, is for checking for exhuast gas's in the cooling system!

and lead down test with the radiator cap off is best. but you could just have very bad coolant! its rather hard to get oil in the coolant. but i have seen it. normally if theres a oil cooler in the radiator, sometimes they crack. but i dont think it has one.

it sounds like it should eb checked out by someone that knows what there doing!IMO

Well I was just trying to get some info Rob since I am so far away dont want her to get ripped off. I am not a mechanic like you, but I am not a fucking idiot either. I know what a leak down and compression tests are. Was just verifying what you were saying about block test. CJ

Guest Removed
Well I was just trying to get some info Rob since I am so far away dont want her to get ripped off. I am not a mechanic like you, but I am not a fucking idiot either. I know what a leak down and compression tests are. Was just verifying what you were saying about block test. CJ

i wasnt calling you a fucking idiot...if i was , then i would have said "your a fucking idiot" i was tryying to give your my professional opinion. you was the one asking for advise, and i was giving it! so just cool your fucking jets.

Guest Removed

i was told that by a shop owner a few years ago, after test driving a 300zx in the same manner....first gear , it twisted left, i clicked second, it went right. i slid it out into bethel road, then it hooked...lmao

then he told me i drive too good, to be stuck in the shop...

Sorry I took some of the comments wrong I guess Rob,,, with how it was phrased and punctation I took it to mean to take it to someone who know what they were doing implying I didnt etc...Anyway thanks to everyone for the info

Guest Removed

a good running car, will put out mositer(sp)...ever see cops cars dripping from the tails pipes as they sit...then all of them have blown head gaskets by that test!

now if its blowing white smoke, yeah. its blown.