Speed of light possibly broken...

87GT

You might have already read about this on CNN... but some scientists feel they made light travel faster then 186,000 miles per second.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/TECH/space/07/20/speed.of.light.ap/

Cliff Notes:

From what I read there is a chamber of cesium atoms in a vapor form in a vacuum. Part of the light wave enters in one side of the chamber, the cesium atoms somehow replicate the light wave and send it out the other side quicker then it came in. By the time the whole light wave enters the chamber the light is already out of the chamber by a good 60 feet.

I still don't know in my opinion if that is making light travel faster. Also It has been said that the light loses its intensity but it doesn't distort. So how come it has lost power by the time its out the other side?

Well, according to the current laws of physics, it's impossible for anything to be faster than light. However, with things like quantum physics, you don't have to go faster than light to arrive somewhere faster. I haven't yet read your posted article to find out the specifics, but I'm off to do that now. Though, so far I agree from your cliff notes that they probably didn't actually speed up the light.

Ok, read the article. The diagram at the bottom had about as much info as the article itself. It also explains that they believe the light is being duplicated and sent out the other side; changed by the cesium vapor, not exactly the same light that is originally used. The article also states that the light does distort.

Ok, this is how I'll put it. You write a letter and fax it instead of snail mailing it. Yes, the other side of the fax gets the same letter you sent, but not the exact same letter. Thus, destroying the laws of speed of the 'mounted mail carrier'. ;) To further add to this analogy, look how some faxes look when you send them, especially older fax machines. Where the writing is sometime hard to see or smeared. There's your distortion part of the analogy even. :D lol

Anyway, that's the gist I got in a short, not very well explained post. Still not as exciting as quantum physics but what could turn into a great discovery with many applications. Like Aerogel. heh Oh well, Im sure I missed some points.