Help With ABS INOP light

ElPurtre6886

I have a 96 Z28. About 3 months ago i was cruising on the freeway right around 70mph and my light came on. it stayed on for a few days and went off. i then was sitting at a light about a month later with my foot on the brake and the low trac light came on and the brake pedal went to the floor. i eased off the brake and the low trac light went off and the abs light came on and the brakes worked fine. since then the light would come on and off randomly. sometime when i would hit a big bump and other times when i had low trac. Now in the past 3 days i have had the brake ease to the floor, just like when i sat at the light a few months ago. i was told it might be a wheel speed sensor. but that really doesnt explain the brakes going to the floor and then returning to work normally. if anyone has an idea about what this could be, please let me know. i hope its nothing serious. i just dont want to spend the money to get it checked out if it is something small. advance auto parts said their scanner wouldnt scan abs and i would have to go to a dealership which i dont want to do.

Dont go to a dealership, check with some of the shops on here.

But first, unplug the sensor and see if it does similar things. My car did the exact same thing at Norwalk. I went to press the brake at the end of a pass... the abs inop popped on... the brake pedal turned into a sponge and dropped to the floor... then I had to pull the E-brake to keep from hitting the fence after sliding through the grass. Replacing my rear sensor fixed the problem completely.

Dont go to a dealership, check with some of the shops on here.

But first, unplug the sensor and see if it does similar things. My car did the exact same thing at Norwalk. I went to press the brake at the end of a pass... the abs inop popped on... the brake pedal turned into a sponge and dropped to the floor... then I had to pull the E-brake to keep from hitting the fence after sliding through the grass. Replacing my rear sensor fixed the problem completely.

whats wrong with a dealership?

whats wrong with a dealership?

I went to one to get my sensor replaced because I thought it was still under warranty. It would have cost much less to do it myself, or to have let LaSota do it. I deal with Dan Tobin and love them (I've purchased 5 cars from them, and still let them do my oil changes just so I can go in and say hi), but the cost of a job like that was too much.