520$

HotCarl

Thats how much Byer's Imports wants to do a 40k mile check up on my piece. What a fucking joke. When asked what is in included in this checkup Mandy of Byers pretty much replied with all the same old bs answer's "top off any/all fluids (gee thanks), check brakes, rotate tires, change oil (which by itself they charge 52.00$), change plugs (yes they change plugs every 40k miles, i dont know why) but leave the plug wires, and the elevendy-billion point inspection" Are you fucking kidding me? 520 dollars for shit I can do in my drive way in 2 hours with minimal tools?

I use to work at Graham Ford in the service department and remember quoting this same exact service for 99$, the whole point in buying this car was to have something newer that i didnt have to fix or tinker with every weekend. I was pondering getting rid of my piece for the past few months but if this is any indicator of how much it will cost to service this car in the future its definitly going. And fuck the idea of getting a newer/cheap Rabbit. I knew i shouldnt have sold my 84 diesel rabbit.

That is insane. The service packages NTB offers at the intervals are a way better deal than that. They actually do the proper flushes, plugs, etc. That is why you don't go to dealers.

I should mention that ive gone to NTB off Billingsley for all my oil changes and always been pleased with the service ive gotten. The only reason Im even bothering with the dealer is b/c I had my car in for a recall. When I got it back the next day the passenger side mirror was broken, not just cracked BROKEN and barely hanging on the car. I had to piece it back together and they said they'd call me in 2 weeks when they got a new one in to replace it.... That was last winter. I should probably make a consumer report thread about it.

trowa: at least Id be getting a happy ending in that case.

That is insane. The service packages NTB offers at the intervals are a way better deal than that. They actually do the proper flushes, plugs, etc. That is why you don't go to dealers.

I guess if you go to one of the NTB CR sponsors, but I've worked at NTB and I've seen some shady mechanics there, but it's the same everywhere. There are good techs and there are shady techs, most of the guys I've worked with at dealerships were top notch guys. You're also always going to pay more at the dealer b/c you have guys with a lot more knowledge with your specfic make/model and they make a lot more than some lube tech at NTB.

Dude, go there and raise hell. Tell you wanna talk to the person in charge of there boss.... If you'r mirror really got effed up like step up and complain and they will take care of it. Trust me. No buisness wants a complaint filed or a call to there corporate office. Thats real shitty customer service if you ask me.

VR6 or 2.0?

You can do all that stuff your self, minus parts.

and know a lil more about your car at the same time.

I would tell them to repair your mirror, and then shuv the old broken one up there ass.

Dude that doesn’t surprise me. German cars are expensive to service. You could probably check all the fluids and change the oil, but you couldn’t talk to all the computers or reset the service light. Yes it is a lot of money, but you have teh uber german car yaaa. Btw an oil change at where I work is around 100 with full synthetic.

I guess if you go to one of the NTB CR sponsors, but I've worked at NTB and I've seen some shady mechanics there, but it's the same everywhere. There are good techs and there are shady techs, most of the guys I've worked with at dealerships were top notch guys. You're also always going to pay more at the dealer b/c you have guys with a lot more knowledge with your specfic make/model and they make a lot more than some lube tech at NTB.

good and bad mechanics everywhere you go

come see me or derek downtown for your scheduled maintenance you for sure will not spend $520.00

You should see what TDI owners pay for service.

I dont even wanna know. Ive got the base GLS, 2.0, auto and that was the quote for me. BS.

I have to go in friday no matter what and have them replace the mirror. When im there i'll talk to the service manager but I have a feeling that even if he can move on the price it wont be enough for me to continue going there. Not to mention this is all considered maintenance and wont be under warranty. Though i've gotten good service at NTB Billingsley/sawmill Im still a bit skiddish about going there sometimes. I know how some techs can be, especially doing a oil change for .03hrs or some bs like that. But that doesnt mean i dont expect quality service either.

Yeah like others have said, that doesn't surprise me very much. You have a Germain car and you are going to pay for a Germain car. I am going t guess even if you did call around to other dealerships you are going to get pretty close to the same estimate for the job.

Seriously do it yourself.

Buy: http://ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?searchstring=ES%231894&searchqt=byvehicle&make=Volkswagen&model=Golf+IV&submodel=&engine=2.0

Call Hatfield VW, Ask for Nick. Tell him you are a member of Ohiovw.com. Tell him you need the whole mirror assembly for your year/car.

This was for my 2002 GLS last week:

3B0-857-538-B-GRU.....$29.30 MIRROR CAP

1J1-857-508-K-01C.....$106.44 HOUSING

Edit: Did not see they were replacing the mirror.