Bolt Trouble

Vander

Ok so I am trying to get this bolt off of my exhaust manifold but I am having trouble with it. The bolt is on the bottom side of the manifold in the middle. The space is so tight around it you can't fit any tools around the bolt all the way. I couldn't fit a socket in there, or a closed wrench around it. I also had trouble with a crescent wrench but will try that method again ( I dont want to strip the bolt). Can anyone help me get it off or know how I can do it?

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/Vander6/DSCN2100.jpg

crescent wrench will probably round that head off. Try an open end wrench, if a crescent will fit, an open end will fit. You still run a risk of rounding that, but use the right tool for the job first.

Not sure if gearhead was being serious or not, but a obstruction wrench sets are actually sold. I got mine at harbor freight because I love that store for stuff I won't need alot. They are designed with a curve in them to allow them to fit around things that might be in your way. Especially useful getting to the rear manifold bolt. For about $8 they sure do save alot of cussing and wasted time.

Evan

you can always get a cheap one and take a grinder to it if its real tight

+1

this is what i had to do to remove the ford motorsport headers on my '87 when i had them on there. i took a cheapo box end wrench, and ground it down until the wall was thin enough that the wrench would fit.