USSC Challenge Contenders

Crossle

So i got this months mag today (sport compact car) and the line up for the Ultimate Sports Car Challenge is set. Who is it gonna be?

Subaru WRX aimed at 460whp built w/ his 16 y/o son

BMW 2002 powered by a M20 engine

Audi S4 powered by the Audi V6 BiTurbo claimed 500whp

C5 Z06 Supercharged..claiming 500-550whp no internal engine mods

R34 Skyline GTR V-Spec claiming 527whp

Infiniti G35TT from the June of 06' issue 400whp track day car

MKIV Supra single GT61 turbo 600whp

LS1 300zx Dynoed 440whp no internal mods

Ariel Atom 2 "stock" has the SC cobalt SS motor

Acura Integra Midengine RWD H22A N/A

I'm curious to see how the atom will do, but I'm thinking based on what they are tested on the Audi might do pretty well. They did a nice job picking cars this year, really diverse group.

Track lap, fuel economy, 1/4 mile, dyno, gross display of HP, presentation, streetability judged by a senior citizen. I think thats most of it.

I love USCC but it just seem's they have the same basic cars in it every year. They always have a Subi, a skyline, a supra, some sort of honda if not two, and some sort of german car (audi or vw). yes there all technically different cars than last year but its the same basic roster for the past couple years. I'll still buy the issue though.

The Atom is the base model at 205hp, though it's still going to be faster than most it's not as fast as what we saw in Top Gear.

I think the Atom will be a top contender, it should get awesome mpg's considering it's weight and the 1/4 should rock as well as the track lap and gross display of hp, it won't do well in the "Streetability" though obviously.

I think it's already a pretty biased contest. They seem to be pre-judging the domestics and give high praise to the import crowd.

How can you say that when a Viper won a few years ago? Plus 3 of the contenders are GM powered.

My opinion:

*Subaru WRX aimed at 460whp built w/ his 16 y/o son

Sounds promising. We all know the WRX has proven to be a pretty good track car. However, the car will lose points in the fuel economy, gross display of HP, and the granny. If the car is going to be competitive on the track it's going to be a stiff ride and it might be loud while crusing.

*BMW 2002 powered by a M20 engine

Awesome! I like how they always seem to have a neat classic in the challenge. It's probably going to get beat at all the track events, but depending on how the car is put together it may be a contender in the end.

*Audi S4 powered by the Audi V6 BiTurbo claimed 500whp

My friend has a 500whp S4 and I think no matter what is done the car will always be too heavy to compete with some of the others on this list. It should have good grip though, and if it's not stripped it will do well in the granny test.

*C5 Z06 Supercharged..claiming 500-550whp no internal engine mods

The car will be a beat at the track events, it's probably going to be a harsh ride for the granny but not as bad as some others. This car is a contender for the win.

*R34 Skyline GTR V-Spec claiming 527whp

So far, every Skyline they have had in the competition ended up overrated. Mid-pack finisher.

*Infiniti G35TT from the June of 06' issue 400whp track day car

Sounds as if the car has been set up specifically for the track events and the power curve should be great for the road course. This car is going to be near the top.

*MKIV Supra single GT61 turbo 600whp

Dyno queen. It's going to lose in the quarter mile because it's only going to run 12's (there are probably a few 11 sec cars in this field), and it's going to be in the bottom half at the track event.

*LS1 300zx Dynoed 440whp no internal mods

Interesting swap. I think it will do well overall, but how serious of a contender it is will depend on the setup. It's going to be hard for this car to compete with the Z06.

*Ariel Atom 2 "stock" has the SC cobalt SS motor

It should rip everyone to shreads on the road course and fuel economy events, but it will suffer with the granny and I'm not sure what they run in the quarter. The technogeeks should love it though.

*Acura Integra Midengine RWD H22A N/A

I've heard of people doing this but I'm not sure of the motivation. You can make a really good track car out of an Integra, so I hope they didn't screw up the dynamics by putting the engine in the rear. It's going to be hurt by the dyno, granny (it's probably loud inside), and it's not going to be top 5 at the track. It's a mid-pack contender.

*Ariel Atom 2 "stock" has the SC cobalt SS motor

It should rip everyone to shreads on the road course and fuel economy events, but it will suffer with the granny and I'm not sure what they run in the quarter. The technogeeks should love it though. {/QUOTE]

figure its around 1250 wet with a 200 lbs driver @ 17% drivetrain loss is a low 11 sec car. (per this site) 11.216620425825267 to be exact. :)

http://www.robrobinette.com/et.htm

• 4 weeks later...

The S4 won, the automatic MKIV supra blew up on the quarter mile. The atom finished in the back half of the field. It got killed in almost all of the performance stuff, 5th in skid pad, 6th 1/4 mile, 7th in braking, 7th in lap times. Come on it was not even close....2nd to last in the competition. Hell, the supra that blew up part way through still beat it.

The "base price" test made me lol. The BMW 2002 was like 4K, the next cheapest was 19K.

The 505hp supra turbo made 41mpg....WTF?