Snap-On

Crossle

No, i found a guy selling it...he took some of his tools out of it(air tools and a few other things). I picked it up for $4000 cash. Mac man would not have sold it that cheap. trust me! But i made sure he didnt owe money on it first! He bought it out right a couple years back for like 9000 or so!

Wow, that was the right deal at the right time it sounds like.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Removed
I hear you 100% on the "taint" sockets lol. Never heard them referred to as that. Thanks for the tip on the box, what made you come to your conclusion that matco boxes are better?

the drawer sliders are much more durable ! i like them aswell. and if i was going to buy new, it would have been a matco 4 teer bottom with a 2 teer top and a custom hutch next to it.. that and they will build each box too suit you!

I like the Snap-On boxes better than the rest of the boxes I've seen. They are strong enough, heck they've parked dump trucks on top of their boxes so they are strong enough. You'll never break them, plus they are life-time warrenty. I think my box was somewhere around $5200 MSRP. I have that same Snap-On KRL box, but it's bright orange.

I went to the Matco Votech site and the first box is $1752 and the second $2184. I am sure there would be a hefty ass shipping charge though. I never bought a box b/c my two craftsmans seem to still lock fine. An example of tools, they have a 21mm 19mm 1/2 impact flip socket for 13 bucks. It is handy as fuck.

In all reality you could probably create an account and get a discount without even being a student anywhere. The only downside is the matco guy may not replace a broken tool if you did not buy it from him.

http://www.matcotools.com/ProductImages/4225R-BC.jpg

http://www.matcotools.com/ProductImages/4325R-BC.jpg

i had my mind set on the craftsman professional box that's 56" wide, and 30" deep. the drawer layout is similar to the upper matco box. total storage is almost 40,000 cubic inches!!!!!! cost $3600 but i wouldn't be opposed to buying a MATCO or snapon box of similar size even if it cost $5000. i just like the idea of how deep the craftsman drawers are--30". my 36" wide craftsman professional box only has drawers that are about 19" deep, and my SAMS club box drawers are only 16" deep.

this is a box i wouldn't buy right away, since i'm going to be moving twice in the next 2yrs.

I'll have to check out the matcos. I've been around snapon and craftsmen and i'm just not impressed w/ craftsmen boxes. They seem flimsy compared to snapon. I plan on buying from my snapon guy if stuff breaks or once my student status is ended. Just to start out and get one of the "master tech" sets from the snapon thing will keep me under control for awhile and then i can figure out what i need from there.

Guest 614Streets
i wouldnt say its made by snap on, more of snap on owns the company. snap on owns bluepoint but they dont make the tools.

"Kobalt too boxes and chests are made by Snap On at their Snap On tool box manufacturing facility in Algona, Iowa. Snap On also makes the Kobalt tools. The Kobalt brand uses different forgings than the Snap On as well as different materials and heat treatments.

There are three major tool manufacturers in the US; Stanley, Danaher, and Snap On. Each of these sells tools under a variety of names.

Home Depot's line, Husky, is made by Stanley Works. Stanley also makes the line of MAC tools and Proto Tools in the same plants with the same forgings.

Sears brand, Craftsman, is made by Danaher Tools. Craftsman, prior to 1994, was made by Stanley but was beat out that year by Danaher. Danaher also makes MatCo tools.

Now S-K was purchased by FACOM several years ago. Many of the FACOM tools are actually stamped with S-K. FACOM, once noted to be one of Europe's finest tool manufacturers is using much of the old S-K line now and simply rebadged them. The S-K "pro" screwdrivers are now FACOM "ergotwist" screwdrivers. There are other examples too"

This according to a mailing list archive.

Guest Removed
I don't like the bluepoint boxes, a tech at work always had to replace worn out drawer sliders.

i used to keep breaking the roller slides on my box at home.but then that used to be a 1/2 drive drawer at work... :o

Lol the ones jeremy would break were like the screwdriver/wrench drawers. Basicly the drawers that are used the most often.

Thanks 614streets, thats really interesting info. Why do manufacturers change their quality of tools between lines? So, that they can have expensive and cheap tools that appeal to everyone?

Guest 614Streets

Thanks 614streets, thats really interesting info. Why do manufacturers change their quality of tools between lines? So, that they can have expensive and cheap tools that appeal to everyone?

Although the lowes kobalt brand and snap on brand are manufactured in the same facilities the actual forgings are different. Most snap on rachets do not use a button release and because of that they are stronger than a kobalt rachet , but for the home body a button release is convienient.

I have been hammering on my kobalt hand tools at work for 3 years and just yesterday finnaly broke my 3/8 drive rachet but i have hammered it many many times, good thing is just go down to lowes to get another.

For hand rachets and sockets etc a Kobalt set has worked fine and is much much better than craftsman. I also have a full set of Husky at my personal shop and they tool are great hand tools.

There is a difference but the differnece is actually not there , what I mean is when you need a big huge box well you cant get a kobalt box that is 6 foot long and can drawer in and out heavy ass loads, but you will see the kobalt and husky boxes that are the biggest in that line are identical rebadged and painted units sold under the mac and snap on lines.

So In reality its just if the sizing of the Kobalt box fits your need which I dont see why It wouldnt especially with the side locker , and you fill out your drawers with husky or kobalt hand tools , then you can dump the money you saved into good pnumatic snap on and ingersol rand air tools and snap on specialty tools like the wobble sockets etc.

Also I use my tool cart more than anything.

But then again if you need a huge ass box thats 6 foot long husky and kobalt are not relivent.

i just priced a 40" snapon 8 drawer top and 13 drawer bottem for under $1800 and some change, that doesnt sound half bad

Was that through that student site? Thats about what i came up with using the discount.

614streets thats good to know, I am taking all this info in so i can have a chat w/ my boss and see what he wants me to do. I mean he is really pushing snap-on and all, but it is soooo expensive and i wanted other opinions and this is perfect. Thanks a lot for your input.