Writing a report on E85

Rally Pat

Anyone got some valid sources I could use to complete the report, possibly web based magazine articles? Remember, Wikipedia is only a valid source if you are playing a quiz game...

There are 3 people in my group: The hot drag racer chick that I go to class with is the "elected" group leader, the other guy is doing the Cons, and I am doing the Pros. Trying to decide what to touch on...the Octane?...cleanliness? I mean, I know facts about all of these, but cant seem to find a lot of it written up so I can cite it.

One of its biggest pros would probably be the reduction of dependence on foreign oil, I guess. The process of making the stuff can be dirty itself, though. It's been a while since I've read, but a quick search found an article I found somewhat interesting.

"Burning ethanol has a mixed effect on vehicle emissions. According to the Department of Energy, E85 in place of gasoline reduces carbon monoxide by four percent and NOx by 59 percent, but it raises total hydrocarbon by 43 percent.

Ethanol is free of certain toxic chemicals — benzine and xylene — that are associated with gasoline, but exposures to those substances are so small that no one is worrying about them today. On the other hand, ethanol exhaust emissions do contain acetaldehydes not found in gasoline exhaust."

This is from an article in Car and Driver, so trusting its accuracy could be hit or miss. But it's some kind of information that could help.

I cant just pull this stuff out of my ass, I have to cite everything (I think)

Heh I also have to write a research paper for Networking by monday, and one of the suggested topics was "LAN Parties". I might know a thing or two about those :)

One of its biggest pros would probably be the reduction of dependence on foreign oil, I guess. The process of making the stuff can be dirty itself, though. It's been a while since I've read, but a quick search found an article I found somewhat interesting.

"Burning ethanol has a mixed effect on vehicle emissions. According to the Department of Energy, E85 in place of gasoline reduces carbon monoxide by four percent and NOx by 59 percent, but it raises total hydrocarbon by 43 percent.

Ethanol is free of certain toxic chemicals — benzine and xylene — that are associated with gasoline, but exposures to those substances are so small that no one is worrying about them today. On the other hand, ethanol exhaust emissions do contain acetaldehydes not found in gasoline exhaust."

This is from an article in Car and Driver, so trusting its accuracy could be hit or miss. But it's some kind of information that could help.

True, also touch on:

*The octane rating (meaning higher compression ratios are possible, thus boosting efficiency of the engine)

*The fact that alcohol has a cooling effect when it evaporates (it cools the air charge when it's injected)

*It's a slower, more stable burn (it delivers higher AVERAGE cylinder pressures and lower EGT's...Peak combustion pressures are actually lower for ethanol than for gasoline but the cylinder pressures stay higher longer, so you have more (longer) crank angle that is usable by the engine. This lower peak cylinder pressure also helps with detonation control.)

*It can be produced from waste (read about cellulosic ethanol).

EDIT TO ADD:

When you see the benefits of E85 or E100 you can really start to see that it would be an awesome fuel for a direct injection engine. Even higher compression ratios, more boost, and closed loop combustion control would make a very efficient package.

http://www.technologyreview.com/Energy/18304/ - Not E85, but shows benefits of Ethanol.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/10/02/adding-e100-to-the-turbo-direct-injection-mix-could-greatly-impr/