Anyone with the AEM UEGO?

tristanlee85

I know the LC-1 has fault mode settings where you can program a certain output to see if your sensor is going bad, but the AEM doesn't have anything of the sort I don't think. I'm wondering if anyone has the time and wouldn't mind letting me borrow their sensor for 2 quick runs to see if my sensor is bad.

Can you describe the scenerio again,are you cruising around at 6k rpms or are you on and off the gas, like a tip in issue possibly.

This has happened when doing a 3rd gear pull. Here are 2 datalogs of it. The AFR is at the bottom in red. Ther could be 2 causes of this: for one, the car is rich as hell. You can see right before it goes to 17:1+ that I'm at 10.7:1, probably lower, but I doubt the AEM can read that low. So, there is a chance that too much raw fuel is getting on the sensor, fouling it, and causing it to go instantly.

The other cause could simply mean it's just going bad. Looking at my duty cycle, it really isn't that high, though I am very close to maxing the injectors out. Anything over 100% isn't possible, but I'm willing to say that over a few boost spikes, the injectors have hit 100% DC. Maybe that is what is really happening behind the falsly calculated scenes and they are just dumping in as much fuel as they can.

http://forums.plastikracing.net/files/graph1_144.png

http://forums.plastikracing.net/files/graph2_136.png

The sensors go dead lean when they start to fail. (Better than reading the opposite). They are only $50-$60. High heat will also kill the sensors fast too. Where is yours placed at?

The sensor is further away than the recommended minimum length so heat definately shouldn't be an issue. Regarding my post above, it could be a sensor going bad, too much fuel, or maybe EGTs from the raw fuel killing it. I find it odd it only happens around 6k though.

I dont think it is a sensor failure I think there is something else causing this. From the log your at 95% throttle so I assue WOT and at that 6000 rpms mark it throughs a lean spike? AEM sensors read from 10-18. 10.7 is rich but its not as bad as you think, and if you say its further downstream it will take a small amount of time to correlate to the proper rpm because it takes longer to react. Be aware that running your injectors above 85% to 90% is not a very good idea, because they are typically not rated above that and will not work properly and could fail from to much heat ect ect.The log just appears very odd because after this lean event on the wideband it seems to stay lean (may mean a bad sensor I sapose)

That's the odd thing. Some of that is decel too. When my manifold pressure is below 22kPa and throttle is 0%, I have it shut the injectors off since I would be engine braking at that time. Under the most lean and most rich conditions, the AEM outputs exactly what you see the minimum and maximum to be on the graph. This is one of the older style AEM gauges (not the 6-in-1) so maybe its linear readout is a bit different.

Do you have a way to log (or at least monitor) fuel pressure on your car? What kind of fuel pump do you have? Running the injectors at static like you are is just asking for a major failure. It appears in the log like your entire fuel system may just be overworked.

If you aren't currently seeing FP then I would go out and buy a cheap mechanical gauge and CAREFULLY T a line up by the rail and run it to the cockpit. Do a pull and have a buddy watch the gauge to see if the pressure is not dropping off in the upper RPMs.

You do have some sort of rising rate FPR on the car right?

The stock FPR is rising-rate. I've already tested fuel pressure. At 8 - 9psi I was at around 52psi from what I could tell from the gauge.

http://www.tsnhosting.net/tristanlee85/fuel_pressure.avi (~2:00 where you can see the pressure under boost)

My pump is the Walbro 255lph.