I think i hydro-locked my car...

04silvrz

Went through a big puddle about half throttle then all of a sudden my car lost power. It didn't die, it just has no power and is missing real bad. I turned it off right away, pulled the intake and there was a tiny bit of water in there. Checked the oil it looked normal, not milky or anything. I tried to restart it and it started but was missing so I turned it right back off.

Kinda freaked out right now, anyone have any suggestions?

I did the same thing to an old truck I had by driving through water up to the windows. It ran like absolute shit for about 3 days, then it was fine again. Mine cleared up on its own, but for a quicker fix do like was suggested, pull the plugs, pull the coil wire so it won't actually start, and crank it over for a little while. It would still be a good idea to change the oil afterward.

http://www.sixthsphere.com/storage/1452/000_0063.jpg

I did it in DeVry's parking lot about 2 years ago. It ran for a little bit.

was it running like crap though?

i am going to do a compression test tonight and see what that comes out.

Guest 78novaman

This thread makes me lol.

I about did the same thing in my nova years ago on my way from work to the Devry. The southside floods if it drizzles and I took my nova (of which the crossmember sits...oh...about 4in off the ground) through the intersection of Lockeborne & Refugee. It was poring down rain and like typical the intersection was flooded. I had to go that way because the underpass on Refugee was impassably flooded. While sitting at the light I noticed a lot of little trucks with the water up over the hubs. Hmmm. I start to think this is a bad idea. The light turns green and I say fuck it, lock the trans into 1st and punch the gas. I hit the water hard enough that a wave of brown dirty water came over the hood and said hi to me through the windshield. I kept my foot mashed on the gas, and now I could feel the car become buoyant, rise up, and the rear tires lost traction. Thank god for posi as it kicked in and I was slowly moving forward still. Just as I was thinking "I got this!" the engine starts to bog and chug. Oh no I sucked some water up the intake. chug, chug, chug as I pull out of the water it is really slowing down, the only thing keeping the engine alive is that I had the torque converter locked up in high RPM. With the gas still to the floor I look back in my mirror and all I can see is a massive white cloud like I'm making a mosquito fog. Chug chug chug...sputter...then the rpm's pick back up and I slowly climb up the little rise. I get on 104 and drive to school, the car running fine! I open the hood and there is still a puddle of water on top the air cleaner. I take the top off of it and the air filter is sitting in a puddle of water. That was too damn close to a hydro lock.

Remember kids, don't drive though the water unless you have taken the factory air tube off that goes through the front fender!

Wow you guys. He went through a water puddle with a car. Not a mud hole. Sounds exactly like a wet ignition. If you had hydro locked it you would have had an air intake box completely full of water and you would have had to go through at least 1 foot of water to fill that up in a typical car or hit a really big water puddle way to fast with a crappy designed intake point.

If you really want to make sure everything electrical is dry spray it down real good with "Wire Dryer" you can buy a can at Advance Auto Parts. We run into this type of problem constantly out on the trails and I go through 4+ foot mud holes routinely.

Evan

^ HA, NICE!

I actually drove it home, it seems to be running ok. I haven't taken it past 5K yet and hit the vtec but, I am kepping my fingers crossed.

Oh, and the reason for concern came from the CIA (Cold Air Intake) that is in my bumper. My car isn't lowered or anything but the CIA is close to the pavement and I was acclerating. Who knows, I am hopeing for the best.