Dirty Jobs

Buck531

everyone so far in this thread = fail.

scrap metal yard- using propane torches to cut up all of the metal, getting burnt all the time. then having to load it all up in the baling machine. etc. all of this in a huge warehouse that gets so hot, and just filled with the nastiest dust. i was coughing up black crap constantly. definitely a dirty job! (hence why it was on the show...)

flat roofs- get approximately 60* hotter than ground temperature. so that was about 160* in center city philadelphia. you have to rip up the old roof, getting covered in chemicals that BURN. every night in the shower i felt like i had the worst sunburn. i would have to use a coarse brush to scrape it all off. but then you have to heat all the tar up to 750* and work with it before it cools down. all of this was up on 3 story roofs where you really cant get down all day. no escaping the sun either.

worked for the city when i went home for the summers during college, and grad school. most of that work was on the back of the packer (garbage truck). something about the smell of rotting meat in the dead heat of summer laden with maggots is making me nauseous as i type this

I love the show. And watched last nights one too. They have been here in Ohio a few times but I can't remember what all jobs he did here. I know one of them was while they were up on Lake Erie. Cleaning seaweed out of the harbor and catching snakes (one of my favorite ones).

i work in a foundry. that should be enough, but if its not, that foundry happens to be columbus steel, which is ghetto even by foundry standards.

He speaks the trooth. I mentioned this place to another QC fella, off the cuff while job hunting, and his responce was "Jesuschrist, you do not want to work there!"

I do concrete work which they have had a few shows on already. I was thinking about having him come mix mortar for us when we lay bricks in the summertime. Have him hike all the brick up and down the scafolds for us and watch all the mortar dust go all over him when you mix it in the mortar mixer....

The building I work at caught fire this summer, the whole back half. That was a mess to clean-up. I had to go through all the hardware and clean it... BLAH. The building was nasty too, actually still isn't great. We are in the process of moving.