clunk

Jonan1647545505

ive only owned 2 bikes now and they both werent new. whenever i go from neutral to first, no matter how long ive had the clutch held or how i push the shifter, it clunks. both of my bikes did this, theyre both suzukis, 89 and 98, 500cc and 600cc, 16k and 12k. I just dont like the way it sounds, i can feel it through the bike.

is it time from something to be replaced? if so what?

am i being too picky?

I plan on redoing the carbs, fluid flushes, adjusting shit this winter, so id like to know what i could possibly be getting into. I just moved in with my fiance and her sister and finally have a garage!

i havent bought a service manual yet, i will be soon there is a local shop a block from my house.

thanks

john

Bikes do have a little clunk from 1st to 2nd usually from the point that neutral sits between them. I'd say check your clutch cable as well, and next time you do an oil change make sure to get actual motorcycle oil(the engine and transmission share oil).

ive only owned 2 bikes now and they both werent new. whenever i go from neutral to first, no matter how long ive had the clutch held or how i push the shifter, it clunks. both of my bikes did this, theyre both suzukis, 89 and 98, 500cc and 600cc, 16k and 12k. I just dont like the way it sounds, i can feel it through the bike.

is it time from something to be replaced? if so what?

am i being too picky?

I plan on redoing the carbs, fluid flushes, adjusting shit this winter, so id like to know what i could possibly be getting into. I just moved in with my fiance and her sister and finally have a garage!

i havent bought a service manual yet, i will be soon there is a local shop a block from my house.

thanks

john

my busa was doing it and it was the cush drive on the rear wheel was bad

idle barely 1k rmps. prev owner only used amsoil full syn. would a traditional motorcycle oil be "better" than the syn?

its smooth as silk in going through the other gears

I've never known anyone who used amsoil fully syn on a motorcycle, or syn in general on a motorcycle. I just know everyone I talk to says using car motor oil rather than motorcycle oil can make the motorcycle act funny in the transmission area(though apparently rarely does it actually damage it).

I believe motorcycle oil has additives in it for the transmission that car oil doesn't have.

You are correct.

They have very different additive package since the clutch packs are submersed in the motor oil. I have seen many a squid put Synthetic oil in a motor, and wipe out a good clutch in short order because of it.

You are correct.

They have very different additive package since the clutch packs are submersed in the motor oil. I have seen many a squid put Synthetic oil in a motor, and wipe out a good clutch in short order because of it.

True, most clutches are wet clutches(I think Ducati is one of the few that tends to run dry clutches)

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil1_Racing_4T_10W-40.aspx

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is recommended for four-cycle motorcycles which specify the use of a 10W-40 engine oil. It provides excellent performance in motorcycle engines that are designed with a common engine/transmission lubrication system or where the engine lubrication system is separate from the transmission system. In the case of the latter, follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the type of fluid to be used in the transmission. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 engine oil is also designed to provide the proper frictional characteristics necessary for wet-clutch engine/transmission systems. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 exceeds the requirements of API Service Categories SH, SG/CF, CD, JASO MA and has been fully tested, both on laboratory dynamometers and in the field, to provide optimum horsepower and acceleration.

Fully synthetic Mobil 1 motorcycle oils are specifically engineered for use in motorcycles. The formulations are based on the proven technology used in other Mobil 1 automotive products, yet they are optimized for the unique requirements of a motorcycle engine and/or transmission. You can use them with confidence, knowing they will protect your bike in extreme situations where conventional motor oils simply cannot compare, including extended high-speed operation and prolonged idling in summertime traffic.

so according to mobil, motorcycle syn is perfect for sport bikes, yes?

they also have a 20-50 syn for Vtwins.

thanks for the infos

my busa was doing it and it was the cush drive on the rear wheel was bad

so what exactly is the cush drive? on a schematic i have there is an odd shapped almost triangular piece that is called an absorber. and appears to go behind the rear sprocket drum. is that what youre talking about?

john

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil1_Racing_4T_10W-40.aspx

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is recommended for four-cycle motorcycles which specify the use of a 10W-40 engine oil. It provides excellent performance in motorcycle engines that are designed with a common engine/transmission lubrication system or where the engine lubrication system is separate from the transmission system. In the case of the latter, follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the type of fluid to be used in the transmission. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 engine oil is also designed to provide the proper frictional characteristics necessary for wet-clutch engine/transmission systems. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 exceeds the requirements of API Service Categories SH, SG/CF, CD, JASO MA and has been fully tested, both on laboratory dynamometers and in the field, to provide optimum horsepower and acceleration.

Fully synthetic Mobil 1 motorcycle oils are specifically engineered for use in motorcycles. The formulations are based on the proven technology used in other Mobil 1 automotive products, yet they are optimized for the unique requirements of a motorcycle engine and/or transmission. You can use them with confidence, knowing they will protect your bike in extreme situations where conventional motor oils simply cannot compare, including extended high-speed operation and prolonged idling in summertime traffic.

so according to mobil, motorcycle syn is perfect for sport bikes, yes?

they also have a 20-50 syn for Vtwins.

thanks for the infos

I do believe it is specifying that synthetic motorcycle oils are fine, but not just normal synthetic oil.

On the oil, go to iron pony and get some motul or repsol synthetic in what ever weight your bike calls for, its pricey, but its the absolute shiz. i tried the mobil 1 synthetic motorycle shit and wasnt real happy with it, i started having some clutch slip issues above 10k on a fairly new clutch. went to a repsol full synth and after changing the oil twice the clutch came back.