credit card stolen?

thorne

Anyone ever had there CC# stolen or cloned? I just checked my CC and I've got over 500$ of fake charges. The charges show that the card was swipped but I got my card in my hand. I know its easy to clone a card. I'm just curious how hard its going to be to get the bank to take away the charges.

Same exact thing happened to my best friends girlfriend. We were chillin on the computer and she checked her statement and it said 500 cash was withdrawal from an ATM in Chicago. She quickly looked for her card and she found it. She called the bank and they credited her account no questions asked. She had the money back within an hour. It seemed almost to easy but that what happened. Good Luck getting you money back.

The fraudulent charges are charged back to the retail POS since they are tasked with authorizing the charge. You are not liable for any more than $50 of the charges, and in most cases you can get it down to $0. Cancel the card, file a police report, mail the report to the CC company, wait 1 month, wipe hands, resume life as usual.

You may want to do some investigating while you're at it, to make sure they (the thieves) didn't arrange for a second card to be mailed out and then intercept it from your mailbox. It's not as likely but it does happen, most identity theft happens the old fashioned way (dumpster diving and mailbox theft).

Anyone ever had there CC# stolen or cloned? I just checked my CC and I've got over 500$ of fake charges. The charges show that the card was swipped but I got my card in my hand. I know its easy to clone a card. I'm just curious how hard its going to be to get the bank to take away the charges.

Is it a credit card or debit card?

I work for a bank in their fraud department. Cloning a credit/debit card is very easy and a fraud scenario I see everyday. Have you called the bank and made a report? Some banks don't require you to file a police report in order for them to investigate the fraud claim but it helps. If you have not contacted your bank yet I would do it quick, fast, and in a hurry.

The fraudulent charges are charged back to the retail POS since they are tasked with authorizing the charge. You are not liable for any more than $50 of the charges, and in most cases you can get it down to $0. Cancel the card, file a police report, mail the report to the CC company, wait 1 month, wipe hands, resume life as usual.

You may want to do some investigating while you're at it, to make sure they (the thieves) didn't arrange for a second card to be mailed out and then intercept it from your mailbox. It's not as likely but it does happen, most identity theft happens the old fashioned way (dumpster diving and mailbox theft).

Where did you find this info at?

If a credit card is swiped Visa regulations state that the merchant ONLY has to get a signature on the receipt.... That is it, they do not have to verify you are who you say you are, see your license or any of that. Now, if the card number is keyed in then the store has to get a imprint of the credit/debit card. If a store keys in a card number and they do not get a imprint than the charge is charged back to the store.

Now the regulations for Mastercard are a little different.

Where did you find this info at?

If a credit card is swiped Visa regulations state that the merchant ONLY has to get a signature on the receipt.... That is it, they do not have to verify you are who you say you are, see your license or any of that. Now, if the card number is keyed in then the store has to get a imprint of the credit/debit card. If a store keys in a card number and they do not get a imprint than the charge is charged back to the store.

Now the regulations for Mastercard are a little different.

In my experience with retail, if there is a chargeback to the processor, such as in the case of fraud, they demand proof of a proper charge from the merchant, which would be a valid signature. They don't just roll over and eat the charge, or else merchants would have no motivation to even try to authenticate cardholders.

Well what he quoted about the $50.00 is the Visa/Mastercard regulations and the law. I worked for several credit card companies and never saw a customer charged that. The only way I could think of you being charged that is if you were involved in the fraud type situation.

Debit cards go by a differnt law and think they actually can screw you over for more money and take longer to credit you your money back.