Recommended turbo rebuilder

hot_wire

My SAAB's turbo seals have finally given up. The blue smoke has gotten progressively worse every morning.

So basically, I'm looking for a high quality, local, rebuilder to refurbish my 2001 Garret GT17. Is this something that a regular performance shop (IPS and Slowmotion come to mind) could help with? Or, are turbos better left to national companies with sophisticated equipment and experience?

Thanks for any help!

Anth, thanks for the offer man. I've heard that these little GT17s can be a bit tricky. Apparently, recentering the impeller must be perfect and the job is a PITA. I'd really prefer to outsource the rebuild and then just do the in/out work myself.

Vander, I'll look into Columbus Diesel - Hadn't considered a diesel company! Thanks

Interesting update: I emailed limitengineering, a nationwide turbo supplier and remanufacturer, and here is their response

Ed,

GT17 turbochargers require special equipment to rebuild a reliable unit. We

do not possess that equipment nor do I know of anyone that does.

Sorry,

John C. Craig

This is why you shouldn't drive a Saab.

Seriously did you search on Ebay, Craigslist for "gt17 turbo" or anything of the like? I saw a few on there for very cheap. You just aren't looking. Brand new does not mean fail-safe. Brand new means expensive in this case.

Guest chrishousley
go and check these guys out. http://www.turbochargers.com. They rebuilt my Greddy TD06-20g when I was still in Japan. They did a really good job for mine and even did a few upgrades to it as well. I would give them a call and see what they can do for ya!!! Might end up with a little more power out of that cute turbine!!