Peek'a'boo

Science Abuse

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=492804&in_page_id=1811

I recognise the implications of this, but also recognise that it is funny and impressive. You can respect people that you don't like.

C'mon, its a fucking diesel-electric!

Without giving away any of our secrets I can tell you this. Diesel submarines are very, very quiet. They operate on DC current. The cyclical nature of AC makes a frequency that can be detected a fairly long way away. The fact that DC doesn't make much noise makes it extremely hard to detect.

When Walker sold his secrets about the US, one of the things he sold was our sound dampening technology and how to make a sub silent.

If the Kitty Hawk battle group didn't have a fast boat in her group they wouldn't have stood a chance. If they did have a fast boat and it didn't find this rogue ship, it is because they are really that hard to find.

We did an op with the USS Minneapolis and after two hours of us tracking her the USS Minn called us via the underwater comms and said "Where are you?"

Quiet submarines are really hard to find.

Without giving away any of our secrets I can tell you this. Diesel submarines are very, very quiet. They operate on DC current. The cyclical nature of AC makes a frequency that can be detected a fairly long way away. The fact that DC doesn't make much noise makes it extremely hard to detect.

Do the nukes use AC? My old boss was a submariner in the 50s/60s, and said keeping the motors quiet was the biggest hurdle to putting the nukes in normal service.

From his normal service, he had some good stories about patrols during the Cuban blockade, and exchanging "activites" with Cuban boats and russian a sub.

Didn't make the papers though. :)