Computer problems

XChris1632X

I have an hp compaqnc6000 laptop that has been around for about 5 years or so. It's been a great computer for me and I'm not ready to get rid of it mainly because it has the little button in the keyboard for the mouse and new ones dont have it. That may sound weird but thats what I'm used too. It has worked fine with no issues except some virus here and there that are quarantined. I shut it down the other morning after being on all night listening to music and tried to power it up yesterday and it starts to come on and makes noise, the charging battery light comes on, and then goes out and it stops making noise. The screen never comes on. What could this be and is it worth trying to fix or should I just buy new. My biggest issue is I have about 20g of music and a lot of other things on my hard drive I'm not ready to lose.

Please provide more details. Where is the sound coming from, power wire, part of the laptop where the power wire plugs into, where the fans are, where the hard drive is?

What does the "sound" sound like? A constant tick, a buzz sound, a barely audible click sound over and over?

do you get any video? try and plug a external monitor into it and see if it will come up that way(there will be a key stroke IE FN + something else) if it comes up that way its a bad screen. if that doe sent work then you have a bad video card which = bad mother board. sounds like its getting to post then shutting down but its hard to tell over the internet.