Possible transmission problem in a f-body

lawnman

My car makes a grinding sound and will not go anywhere under it's own power. The motor revs fine.

Here is what happened : I was driving along on the highway at 65 mph and my car just starts to idle and when I step on the gas it starts to gring real bad . I let the car idle for about 5 minutes while waiting on AAA . I decide to try to get it home { I my have a 2 year old with me } . I push in the clutch and release it and the car starts to roll, I am able to drive my car home about 1 mile , as long as I keep the revs below 1200- 1500 , anything above that and the tranny or rearend starts to gring real bad.

I think it is the transmission but I am not sure.

My car is a 2000 trans am and a manual transmission.

Also I would like to take it to someone on this forum if possible. So who would you recommend ?

I have checked the fluid and it looked fine.

I have a loud exhaust on the car but I could swear that I could hear a squeeking noise when letting off of the gas when cruising around the neighborhood last week. Sounded like it was coming from the drivers footwell , it only did it a couple of times.

No , I ws able to get it into 2nd, 3rd and even 4th. I had to be very easy when I was doing this. I had to almost bog it down to get it to move.

I'm leaning towards the gears too. If you have time I would drain a little bit gear fluid from the rear and check for metal.

Edit: Have you checked the gear oil, or just the tranny?

So when you take it above so many rpm's it grinds and free spins, but you are still able to shift into all of your gears at lower RPM's. Sounds like something in the tranny is on its last leg, or the teeth in the gears keep missing at high rpms. I'm curious to see what it is...

Sounds like when i completly blew up my 1995 Z-28 clutch. The car would move fine if i kept the revs low but would sound like hell anything faster than 2K rpms. The clutch disk pressure plate and flywheel were done. I was at national trails on the 150 shot, when it went i thought my whole transmission was left at half track. I drove it all the way home at 25 mph any faster the noise started. The clutch disk was in three pieces, the springs ejected out of the center and were laying in the bellhousing to this day i still don't know how they made it out of the center section.

im almost 100% positive its the rearend. Atlas Automotive helped me out with mine. i got a good price on mine. when i blew my gears i looked at it as a time to upgrade. i got a bigger axel and bigger gears. I got mine done for 100 something but that was mainly cause i did everything but line the gears up when everyone else was charging over 300bucks. you might want to think about it or if you just want it fixed then its w.e.

Atlas Automotive: 614-233-5207

Guest 614Streets
im almost 100% positive its the rearend. Atlas Automotive helped me out with mine. i got a good price on mine. when i blew my gears i looked at it as a time to upgrade. i got a bigger axel and bigger gears. I got mine done for 100 something but that was mainly cause i did everything but line the gears up when everyone else was charging over 300bucks. you might want to think about it or if you just want it fixed then its w.e.

Atlas Automotive: 614-233-5207

I work at atlas automotive with pat :)