Need Help Problems With Windows 2k Wireless Set Up

CJINOHIO03

Ok I just picked up one of the lap tops from Thorne. Anyway I have a Linksys router with a desk top and a dell lap top using wep.. This new Compaq has a built in wirless card I cant use the wireless network unless I turn the wep of for the whole network. Does anybody know how or where to enter wep info so i can keep it secured?

If I pull up Wireless Lan Utility and go to encryption there is a place called wep key entry....create with paraphrase I didnt really know what that is but it didnt work...and a place for manual entry there are 4 keys with 5 boxes in it...i am running 64 bit which is 10 digits...anyway i tried entering it in and that didnt work either...How do I do this correctly there is two digits for each box.. Thanks CJ

Wep sucks, you should use WPA-PSK. "WEP" is bypassed so easy, you might as well leave it open if you are going to use "WEP"

You need to log on to your router, type in 192.168.1.1 I think and set up the router the way you want it, SSID, WPA-PSK password, see if there would be a firmware upgrade for the router, then go into windows wireless networking select your SSID you created and typein the WPA-PSK password and it will connect.

if yu don't remember the password to get on the router to configure it, there should be a pin hole on the router that will return everything to default, do a search for you model and find the instructiuons and find out the default user name and login password.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx