Fahrenheit #213

Guest evobound

Guest evobound

The car's not at MAG, it's in my driveway. ;)

I didn't have a cam at the time. (Fail.)

I should note that the photograph is also not of my specific dub. That fuckin' thing has chrome mirror caps. But it's the same babyshit color.

Congrats on the MKV. All you need is a downpipe and a stage 2 chip and some suspension work. If you got any questions or need any help, I can help you out. I know the mkv platform fairly well.

http://www.ohiovw.com

http://www.fatdubs.com

http://www.vwvortex.com

http://www.golfmkv.com

Perfect. I'm already on the tex and mkv, I will hafta check out ovw and fatdubs.

Why'dja choose the apr over the others?

Couple of reasons.

1) ECS is APR certified which is only 2 hours away

2) APR has the best rep in the vw/audi aftermarket world

3) They continue to release products and updates no matter how old the car gets

4) Their new building is top of the line and they make everything they sell.

Thats just to name a few. Plus I like how they offer products like stage 1 to 3+ and you can start at one and work your way up or just do it all at once.

ohiovw.com is really starting to kick off. I dont know if you are into the VW scene but youll find out its the best out there. We have country wide events along with bi-weekly GTG's.

Last summer we did :

Motorstadt - Detroit

Midwest Dubfest - Indy

Treffen - Chicago

h2oi - Ocean City

Dub Dash - Dayton

We are attending those plus more next summer.

Wrong wheel drive, overpriced, overweight, and underpowered are the aftertastes I've always been left with after test driving gti's.. but whatever, congrats.

You sure you were test driving a mkv?

If so you're the only one with that opinion. I'd agree if you were talking about a mk4.

FWD not that bad, sure I wish I had a rwd BMW

Overpriced? 21-23k not bad. Id take a GTI all day over a new civic, focus, or mazda.

Power? 200hp 200 ft/lbs with 30+MPG sounds good to me. 500$ chip gets you 250whp 300ft lbs and better gas mileage. Cant beat that.

Weight: Sure its a lil heavy 3100 lbs but the best interior by football lengths compared to other cars in its class, and zero interior noise from outside variables. I dont mind the extra 300 pounds.

You sure you were test driving a mkv?

If so you're the only one with that opinion. I'd agree if you were talking about a mk4.

FWD not that bad, sure I wish I had a rwd BMW

Overpriced? 21-23k not bad. Id take a GTI all day over a new civic, focus, or mazda.

Power? 200hp 200 ft/lbs with 30+MPG sounds good to me. 500$ chip gets you 250whp 300ft lbs and better gas mileage. Cant beat that.

Weight: Sure its a lil heavy 3100 lbs but the best interior by football lengths compared to other cars in its class, and zero interior noise from outside variables. I dont mind the extra 300 pounds.

Mazdaspeed3? Doesn't have 300 lb-ft of torque (280 something if I remember correctly) but you don't have to buy a chip either. Plus it's cheaper to begin with :D .

Back to topic though, congrats on the new car. I saw one at our local dealership up north and thought they had one of the nicest interiors of any sub-$30,000 car I've seen in a while. Might have to keep more of an eye out for cops though, they'll see you coming from a mile away.

Guest evobound

I can't fault you for being a naysayer on this one. VW is a love it or hate it brand, I think. Orange just magnifies the effect. I mean shit, remember the Harlequins?

http://www.rossvw.com/harlequin/picturepage/hq3-4.jpg

Anyway, I don't mind the extra couple pounds in exchange for creature comforts. I'm not a pro racer, there's no clock for me to beat - I'm just an enthusiastic driver.

It's easy to get carried away with performance numbers - I think the car strikes a nice balance, and it feels great to drive. That's a lot to say right off the dealer lot. The DSG is remarkable - closest thing I can compare it to is a sportbike transmission.

I haven't had a chance to do anything with it on dry pavement, but even in the wet it's got strong pull in the midrange. Torquey as fuck.

Knowing that at any time I can flash it up to a known good tune and a 25% increase all around for about five hundred bucks is just protection against buyer's remorse.

The only thing I fear is that I'll get sick of the orange. I don't care for the attention that comes with it, either.

Unless she's got a great rack.

Guest evobound

Do me a favor and change that, wouldja? I usually use 'cybe,' but I had registered and not been approved some time ago,

So I regged something else.

Cybe'd be great.

Guest evobound

Okay.

I would've loved to have gotten the evox, but my need was immediate, it's a bit out of my range, and the GTI has a similar transmission (drive wheels aside)

I skipped the WRX also, which was on the list of possibilities.

Last one I drove was an 04 but the mkv's specs still aren't impressive for the price of a 2-3 year old sti, or a plethora of other rwd/awd cars I'd rather have. They do have nice interiors and amenities but the cadillac'ish suspension and tanky feel wasn't something I expected out of a little hatchback. Not really bashing the gti's, they're nice, just boring.

Oh I hear you. I just thought your review was a little harsh for a new car. I agree with you for the price I was going to get a used STI but I decided Id rather have a new car. If I didnt have a problem buying a used car I would have gotten an STI over the GTI.

Also, just for shits I would go test drive a new GTI. The mk4's are trash compared to mkv. VW really went back to their mk1 roots for this GTI. The independent rear suspension on the new ones really help.

When I first got my GTI I went to a autox at the Canton Porsche club. I never drove a manual car before I got the GTI and with only about 200 miles under my belt on the track I beat Porsche's, and came within 1-2 seconds of modified evo's, sti's and the newer Porsche's.

Congrats on the purchase. I'm not a big fan of the Fahrenheits, but it's your money. I've only seen one of those around Columbus so far, so it's a rare ride around here for sure. And I agree with Supplicium, get yourself the APR tune, I couldn't live without it. The difference in response is nearly night-and-day. Check out this article for more reasons to love it: http://www.automobilemag.com/features/0712_2007_volkswagen_mkv_gti_2008_r32_comparison/index.html.