Where to sight in a shotgun tomarrow

TheBussman1647545507

West Jefferson - Big Darby Creek Shooting Range,

875 Middle Pike, West Jefferson, OH 43162.

Phone: 614-879-0457

Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (28-lanes/50yrds),

Outdoor Rifle (4-lanes/300yrds),

Rifle Silhouette,

Pistol Silhouette,

Muzzleloading

Hours of Operation: m-s10-9/sun10-7

Range Access: Public

Web Site: http://www.bigdarbycreeksr.com

Email: pdenlinger@bigdarbycreeksr.com

its a shot gun... how accurate does it have to be :rolleyes:\

just throw a moddifid choke in it, and some #6 shot rounds, point and pull.

Shotshells and deer? :confused:

Oh, and with today's slug gun technology, reaching out to 150+ yards, accurately, is not a problem at all.

Hornady's SST Sabot's come with a drop chart on the box that goes up to 200yd.

Sight in a shootgun? I wasn't aware you even needed to aim them. :p

You can do this in your basement with the right measuring tools, never firing a shot.

How do you plan to compensate for the slugs flight characteristics?

Take it to a range and use a bench rest, for the most accurate results.

Besides, sighting it in at a range is a good excuse to go shooting. Which is always fun. :D

How do you plan to compensate for the slugs flight characteristics?

ummm math? If one slug flies differently than another, there's no point in sighting it in, you'll never be consistent.

If you have your muzzel velocicty, you have enough to predict your arc. If you're doing the "gnats ass" of factoring in drag, you need more data but it's still not hard...you also have too much time on your hands AND your wasting it. :)

Stand on the great salt lake and fire a slug perfectly perpendicular to gravity. It will take just as long to hit the ground as a slug dropped from the barrel.

Stand on the great salt lake and fire a slug perfectly perpendicular to gravity. It will take just as long to hit the ground as a slug dropped from the barrel.

In a perfect world, yeah, but drag plays more of a role with a projectile going thousands of feet per second (edit:) especially when that projectile is a slug with more mass than a smaller caliber round.

In a perfect world, yeah, but drag plays more of a role with a projectile going thousands of feet per second (edit:) especially when that projectile is a slug with more mass than a smaller caliber round.

Actually, having greater mass means that drag will have less of an effect. A slug will have little push on it from the air, but shot is another story all together.

You have newtonian physics involved here. The drag force acting on the projected round is proportionally the same as the dropped round, it's a given percent of the velocity.

i.e. still the same.

ummm math?

Well, let's see an example of this math. :p

I know this, but, you're forgetting one thing; Bullets fired from a gun that is parallell to the ground will actually lift before arcing and coming back down. Do you know how much it's gonna lift?

I'm sure there is math for this, but it's absolutely pointless to try and figure it out that way. Just go shoot the damn gun like it was designed for.

Bullets fired from a gun that is parallell to the ground will actually lift before arcing and coming back down. Do you know how much it's gonna lift?

It is you that lifts the barrel. If you can make the recoil disappear, so will the lift. Air is a 3 dimensional force and a round is symmetrical. Any lift force will be balanced by an equal force in the other direction.

It is you that lifts the barrel. If you can make the recoil disappear, so will the lift. Air is a 3 dimensional force and a round is symmetrical. Any lift force will be balanced by an equal force in the other direction.

Ok, well since you can't make the recoil disappear, explain to me how 'math' is going to sight in the gun.

Oh, and I have doubts as to whether recoil is the culprit of bullet rise.

I was wrong on one thing; the bullet does not 'lift' , but it does rise due to parallax between the scope and barrel. The arcing is due to the angle of the barrel vs. the scope to hit whatever your zero is. i.e. You aim up to compensate for bullet drop over distance.