heater works intermittently

blue98ls1

I have a 95 nissan maxima, and I am trying to troubleshoot why the heater only works while the car is moving. As long as you are driving down the road everything seems fine, but if you are stopped at a stop light or whatever it blows cold air. :confused:

I had the coolant flushed about 2-3 months ago. Its not loosing any fluids. And The temp. guage always reads normal.

I am thinking along the lines of thermostat or waterpump but would like other opinions before I toss a bunch of parts/money at this car.

I do not normally drive this car and it does sometimes sit for a few weeks at a time before I drive it. I use it only when my daily driver desides to break. :rolleyes: Now being one of those times....

Maybe a broken blend door. Another option to consider is the possibility of a blown head gasket. When engine is accelerating, coolant is pumped thru heater core, and at idle the heater core is filled with exhaust gas. Exhaust gas builds to the point it vents thru the cap and you never know the difference. Have a block test done!

I agree with a stuck thermostat, but I'll say double check your coolant level. Gotta keep it simple and thats the first step. Oh and listen for a bubbly sound coming from around the heater core. Do this when the engine is cold and just turned on with the heat selector on maximum. Also push the gas pedal down a little to see if it makes the noise then. That would mean you have an air pocket which in Toyotas also means you usually need to add fluid. At least thats how I remember to add it to my Corolla.

Evan