Oldsmobile Bravada Opinions?

93toNV

I was looking at some SUVs for the winter and came across a pretty nice 97 Oldsmobile Bravada. I know they have the same 4.3 shared in the Jimmys Blazers and S10s. So I was thinking of buying it. It has basically every option you can think of, it looks like a freakin Lincoln or Caddy inside. A couple people told me to stay away from it because anyone they knew that owned one had nothing but problems with it, is that true? Anyone here have any opinions or experience with them that could help steer me in the right direction?

Hitch was standard if memory serves.

LOL. Ok Thanks for the advice! It does have a hitch reciever on the back of it. Is that stock or did someone add that? If its an addon, then some has been pulling with it and I need to get the tranny checked.

For whatever it's worth, my dad has a '97 Jimmy. He's had it for quite sometime now and it's got almost 200k on it. The only thing out the ordinary I've done to it is put a fuel pump and oil cooler lines (very common to leak) on it. He regularly pulls a trailer with it as well. It's been a great vehicle. I also had a Blazer that I sold to a buddy when it had 235k on it, and he's still driving it everyday and pulling his boat with it. I'd definitely check out the oil cooler lines if I were you, and change them before they let go with disastrous results. BTW, front hub bearings are less than $150 each, I just changed one on a Blazer not too long ago.

For whatever it's worth, my dad has a '97 Jimmy. He's had it for quite sometime now and it's got almost 200k on it. The only thing out the ordinary I've done to it is put a fuel pump and oil cooler lines (very common to leak) on it. He regularly pulls a trailer with it as well. It's been a great vehicle. I also had a Blazer that I sold to a buddy when it had 235k on it, and he's still driving it everyday and pulling his boat with it. I'd definitely check out the oil cooler lines if I were you, and change them before they let go with disastrous results. BTW, front hub bearings are less than $150 each, I just changed one on a Blazer not too long ago.

ok they are cheaper now then.

Well I went and test drove it today, and guess what! Runs very good, feels really tight and handles excellent. You hit the nail on the head though! Guess what leaks!? The oil cooler lines. Im assuming thats what they are. I can see them when I open the little plastic flap where you change the oil filter at. You also called another one right on. When I was done driving it I smelled fuel on the drivers side. Could this be a leaky fuel pump/line? FWIW it has 121xxx on it.

its basically a blazer or a jimmy locked in 4wd high you can even pop off the little tab on the dash thats says awd and replace it with the 4wd selector switch from a blazer and use the low range in the transfer case oil cooler lines balljoints and hub bearings need replaced all the time but other than that fairly reliable

We have a 2002 with the inline 6 and AWD. Very nice SUV for the money. Runs great, but if I were to tow I would opt for the switchable 2WD/4WD system. Ours will never see a trailer because of that.

I know you are asking about a different body style, but sometimes you can strike a deal on one of these.