horror stories about getting wisdom teeth out

Twistedrx7

This is a good topic because my wife works for an oral surgeon(aka wisdom tooth extractionairre) in Lewis Center. Chances are some of you may have had him. He is a cranky old man, but he does a damn good job.

....and I've heard a few horror stories about wisdom teeth, it's pretty intense. Here is my favorite.

A patient had come in complaining of pain/swelling/and overall discomfort behind the eye. They really didn't know what was going on and their family doctor had referred them to the office. After a further look, the Dr. asked the patient if they had ever had their wisdom teeth removed. They said, "Yes, around 4-5 years ago". What the X-ray had shown, was a wisdom tooth, trapped behind the eyeball. Apparently, the previous surgeon made the cut, figured they lost the tooth and didn't let the patient know about it.

What I found out is that this is a common occurence, when the body isolates the tooth as a "foriegn" object. When the cut is made there is a large pressure difference between where the tooth is and the outside world. That sudden change in pressure makes the tooth follow the path of least resistance and typically that is the sinus cavity....which can ultimately lead to a tooth behind the eyeball.

when i had mine done, i think i was somewhere between 16-18 y/o. i got knocked out right away, but i remember waking up part way thru and saying "oowww!", and the dr. was like "shut up and go back to sleep"

and i did

then i awoke to him with a puppet and some chattering teeth and my mom said "lets get the fuck out of here". needless to say, he was a bit odd