Lawyers

mmrmnhrm

immigration specific? (probably won't be able to help)

issue in the law as relating to immigration? (maybe help)

post up questions and they might get answered

lawyers typically aren't going to say they're a lawyer and post here - liability and issues

immigration specific? (probably won't be able to help)

issue in the law as relating to immigration? (maybe help)

post up questions and they might get answered

lawyers typically aren't going to say they're a lawyer and post here - liability and issues

Alright then, here goes...

Friend's coworker up in Cleveland met a Taiwanese girl about a year and a half ago, and they got married this summer. Of course, it's the usual story of putting the rose-tinted glasses on, and not really talking about everything you should talk about before getting married, so now they're realizing that it was really a mistake. She wants kids, he was snipped before they met. He figured all asians were like the stereotypical submissive japanese you see in movies, and she'd just as soon strike off on her own. Now if this were just two Americans, it'd be easy... call it a starter marriage, get divorced, and go your way. But since she's on a two-year conditional green card, it's not that easy. He's of the opinion that she should be allowed to stay, having done school here and making a life for herself, so they're trying to figure out whether it would be better for them to stay married until the immigration hearing in summer '09, even though they won't have the usual supporting docs (house/rental agreement in both names, joint insurance, common property, etc), or if they should divorce now, and he just goes and says, "Yeah, we were a bunch of naive kids, but she should stay." They've made sure to do everything "by the book," including stuff like getting an SSN and paying taxes, so it's not like she's been trying to freeload the way our usual targets on this board do, but they're understandably nervous over how ICE will view their case regardless of what they do.

Contact Inna Simakovsky. She's an attorney that specializes in immigration law and she's a friend/associate of mine. We've worked together on immigration cases, so I can vouch for her professionalism/competence. If you're interested, then PM me for her number. When you contact her, tell her Dr. Tilley gave you her number.

Contact Inna Simakovsky. She's an attorney that specializes in immigration law and she's a friend/associate of mine. We've worked together on immigration cases, so I can vouch for her professionalism/competence. If you're interested, then PM me for her number. When you contact her, tell her Dr. Tilley gave you her number.

Been looking into Russian Brides huh? :)

Tilley, a quick google makes me think Inna would be cool, except that they're in Cleveland, and she's here in Columbus. Still, I might need her help in a few years if my gf and I are still together when she finishes grad school :)

...i won my first trial yesterday :)

1 for 1, i suppose

I have a little experience with immigration

I'd guess they're fucked for her being able to stay here. Sounds like exactly the case that they'd want to kick out

The gov't is ridiculous in researching cases like this. You definitely need to be living together. If you're going to try to fool the government: good luck

There's interviews where they go over all this and try to sniff out couples that are married for convenience. Questions like what's your favorite sexual position and 'in what drawer your wife keeps underwear?' will be asked.

I know a couple that has been through this...and it's quite a grueling process (they legitimately live together and are married, but are still given a lot of crap)

I was acting as a special prosecutor in Delaware county - my first case/experience/anything

(contact through school at Ohio State allowed me to do that)

I haven't yet decided what i want to do - it's completely up in the air

Not even sure i want to take the bar in Ohio - I keep telling myself that I should move to a warmer climate

Just about to graduate from Ohio state....took a little of everything there, trying to find out what i want to do

I like the idea of starting my own office....do bankrupcy/family law/anything small town bullshit, so I don't have a boss and can set my own hours....but I'm not sure it pays well enough and it's a little stressful to run out and do that straight out of law school

So, if they want to keep her here: don't say a thing about a potential divorce. Don't move out, stay together. And, good luck - it'll be a battle

Honestly she's on a 2 year green card so that means she goes back home after 2 years. I could be wrong, but it sounds like she's here, loves it, and now wants to stay. I'm betting there is a process she would need to do back in her home country or maybe can apply inside the US. Any other way of staying and I think she'll turn into the same type of person all us illegal bashers want out.

Evan

Honestly she's on a 2 year green card so that means she goes back home after 2 years. I could be wrong, but it sounds like she's here, loves it, and now wants to stay. I'm betting there is a process she would need to do back in her home country or maybe can apply inside the US. Any other way of staying and I think she'll turn into the same type of person all us illegal bashers want out.

That's pretty much it, I think, except it sounds like if she stays and the ICE review decides they're gaming the system, then it's ship her home and the door gets slammed for good (can't even get a tourist visa after that). Maybe even the same if she goes home now anyways, and that's what is bugging them. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I was acting as a special prosecutor in Delaware county - my first case/experience/anything

(contact through school at Ohio State allowed me to do that)

I haven't yet decided what i want to do - it's completely up in the air

Not even sure i want to take the bar in Ohio - I keep telling myself that I should move to a warmer climate

Just about to graduate from Ohio state....took a little of everything there, trying to find out what i want to do

I like the idea of starting my own office....do bankrupcy/family law/anything small town bullshit, so I don't have a boss and can set my own hours....but I'm not sure it pays well enough and it's a little stressful to run out and do that straight out of law school

So, if they want to keep her here: don't say a thing about a potential divorce. Don't move out, stay together. And, good luck - it'll be a battle

Maybe you should just stay in school?

A good friend of my brother and I, M. Miller got out of school and started his own firm. Why cant you do it. And you dont exactly set your own hours when you own your own business like you think you would.