How can I find out if this is public or private land?

Science Abuse

This jetty right here:

Looks like its got a primitive road and a dredged boat launch. It's not unheard of for a grouping of houses to buy and build such things for their use...but damn it'd be expensive, especially if you've alreay got beachfront.

I'm looking for anything that would tell me if it's public or private. I know the county keeps tabs of parcels and such better than google does (I know of several parks and rec areas not listed on google, big ones).

Thanks in advance!

Correct the Counties court house should have that information. Also if you happen to have an address you could possibly find the tax information which would also tell you who owns it. The tax dept may also have online search function for maps called "tax plats." these will show all the land in an area and who owns it. My club researches this stuff all the time though we usually have to send a guy down in person to do a search at the court houses since places we go aren't developed enough to have online stuff.

Evan

What would you be wanting that place for? From what I can tell there are houses around already and your only talking an area of 5 to 10 acres. The Peninsula(sp?) itself is not even 1/4mil long. It would be a very nice place to own if you owned it all though for sure.

Further more the sat image could be from 1998. Even that would be considered a very new map as far as the US GS is concerned. The tag on the image says 2007, but I'd be willing to bet those are just credits for the entities that provide the data and sort of a copyright more than a date tag.

I could be wrong though especially if Alpena is a fast growing area. That would mean the US GS is taking a more active approach to charting that area.

Evan