Pcv system questions

lcz06

I have the pcv system deleted on my current set up. I’m just using a breather on the left head on the passenger side. I installed an oil catch can as I been getting lots of oil in the intake manifold and inside of the breather. Also small amounts of oil will shoot out of the breather under heavy acceleration. Oil consumption is a also a major problem as it will consume about a quart of oil every 500 miles or so.

The lines going to the oil catch can are routed through the bottom intake and the valve cover connected through a T with a line leading to the oil catch can. The right rocker arm cover and throttle body covers are both sealed off. (Off topic), is the reason the air pump line going to the air filter is not being used because it's also deleted when you delete the pcv system? Oil catch can is toward the front.

Does this seem like a crank case issue? Would installing a pcv system help?

no. your oil rings seem wasted.

Could be, I’ll be tearing apart my motor come spring to find out what all is exactly wrong with it. I just need to know if it’s worth installing a pcv system on my new setup

Tsb?

dare question me? lol

Subject:Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption (Replace Rings and Engine Valley Cover) #01-06-01-023A - (06/19/2002)

Models:1999-2001 Chevrolet Camaro

1999-2002 Chevrolet Corvette

1999-2001 Pontiac Firebird

with 5.7L Engine (VINs G, S -- RPOs LS1, LS6)

This bulletin is being revised to add model years for the Corvette, information on the LS6 engine and parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-023 (Section 6 - Engine).

Condition

Some owners may comment on higher than expected oil consumption. When checked, the oil consumption could be in the range of 400-600 miles per quart (700-1000 km/L).

On the LS6 engine only, the technician may find oil behind the engine throttle plate and in the intake manifold.

Cause

The cause for this condition may be an interaction between the piston rings and the cylinder bore in vehicles that are operated at higher RPMs -- typically manual transmission vehicles driven in a manner where the engine is frequently or consistently operating at greater than 3200 RPM.

On the LS6 engine only, the engine has a unique aluminum valley cover that has composite oil separating baffles and PCV plumbing incorporated. In some cases, the PCV baffle may not be properly sealed to the valley cover, causing oil to enter the PCV system.

Correction

On the LS6 engine only, replace the engine valley cover if oil is found behind the throttle body or in the intake manifold before replacing the piston ring. Refer to Engine Valley Cover Replacement in the Engine Mechanical - 5.7L subsection of the Corvette Service Manual.

A new set of piston rings is currently available through GMSPO. The new rings are part of a complete piston ring kit. Install only the number 2 compression ring and the oil expander ring from the piston ring kit. All other rings in the piston ring kit should be discarded. The original number 1 compression ring and the oil ring rails should be re-used in their original positions on the piston. All pistons should be used in the same cylinder bore.

Important: Do not dress or hone the cylinder bore. Nothing should be done to change the bore finish for this condition. Changing the bore finish may aggravate the condition.

Refer to the Unit Repair Manual for appropriate ring removal and replacement procedure.

The number 1 compression ring and the upper and lower oil expander rails are re-used because they are already broken in for the bore that they are in. The new number 2 compression ring is made with a very sharp edge that will break in quickly.

Changing only the piston rings noted, with no change in driving style, should change oil consumption to an acceptable level. Changes in driving style that reduce the amount of time spent at higher RPMs will also positively affect oil consumption.

In addition to the standard size piston ring kit listed below, a 0.25 mm oversized piston ring kit is available. The oversized piston ring kit should only be used in those rare instances where the cylinder bore size has been machined larger to accommodate the 0.25 mm oversized piston rings.

Parts Information

Part Number 12568002 Description Valley Cover Qty 1

Part Number 88984247 Description Ring Kit, Piston Qty 8

I am really confused on how to go about setting up a new pvc system with my current set-up. I'm pretty sure I would need the LS6 pcv system set up since I’m using the LS6 heads.

From my understanding I’m supposed to have another nipple coming off the intake throttle body. As you can tell from the pictures I don't even have an outlet coming from the throttle body. Mine is closed off. I'm using the Nick Williams 90mm throttle body with LS6 heads.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/3100/1005055it5.jpg

Should look something like this, when it's done and set up for the LS6 set-up

http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/geniii/ls6pcv/new_pcv_installed.jpg

Do I need a different version of the Nick Williams throttle body? This is how I plan on routing everything once I get everything sorted out.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7792/18510154cr2.png

1) Valve Covers

2) Valley Cover

3) Intake Manifold (front section)

4) Throttle Body Assembly

5) PCV Valve (pre 2004) or PCV Orifice in Valley Cover Hose Fitting (2004+)

6) PCV Oil Catch Can

7) Crankcase Vapor Source

8) Crankcase Clean Makeup Air Source (Note: Do not disturb this hose)

oh and LS6 heads have nothing to do with the PCV system.

I know that lol :p. If your useing LS6 heads then your missing the second nipple on the top left hand coner of the rh. So why am I missing the nipple on the throttle body intake? Is it not needed? How would I route the pcv system without one?

I know that lol :p. If your useing LS6 heads then your missing the second nipple on the top left hand coner of the rh. So why am I missing the nipple on the throttle body intake? Is it not needed? How would I route the pcv system without one?

your talking about in the valve cover. aftermarket intake must have decided it didn't need it lol.

PCV hose going into the air bridge (right before the throttle body maybe 3-4 inches away

But isn't that line going to be used with the Crankcase Clean Makeup Air Source? Maybe the original owner somehow modified the intake so it didn't have one for some reason. Maybe I need to purchase a new intake.

Here is how I have it currently hooked up without the pcv system. I know you love the MS Paint drawing skills!

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6444/mypictx4.jpg

Guest Removed

the fitting that your intake is missing is a press in style! pull the plug out(you just posted a pic of with the circle around it) and install a fitting from a stock intake!

if i remember right thats what you are suppose to do if you run the pcv system on the fast intake!

the fitting that your intake is missing is a press in style! pull the plug out(you just posted a pic of with the circle around it) and install a fitting from a stock intake!

if i remember right thats what you are suppose to do if you run the pcv system on the fast intake!

I'll call fast and I don't have the stock intake manifold but I do have the stock tb. I can drill the plugged up hole if needed and will ask about transferring parts from the old tb.