interference engines

Dave1647545494

Chrysler (Mitsubishi) 3.0 is not an interference engine, I've owned and worked on countless vehicles with this engine. Just FYI.

Chrysler Mitsubishi 3.0 ( 6G72 at least ) IS an interference engine. They can be found in Dodge Stealth, Mitsubishi 3000gt, Mitsubishi Galant VR-4, some Mitsubishi Monteros......fyi. 60k timing belt and water pump replacement is recommended, as are a few guide pulleys I believe.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just reread that after you quoted it

no one recomends timing belt changes under 60k just an fyi so you don't waste a bunch of money

chrysler recomends that the timing belts on the 3.0 be changed every 30k....... :D

and it IS an interference engine, trust me if it wasnt i wouldnt have changed the timing belt.....this is only the second one ive worked on but they are interference

try reading the manual on a 93 caravan with a 3.0 ;)

Guest Removed

on the 3.0's its inpect at 30 replace at 60.

30 k maintence for dodge 3.0's

30000 MI or 48000 KM

Inspect

Brake Hose/Line Notes

Constant Velocity Joint Boot Notes

Cooling System Notes

Drive Belt (E) Notes

Inspect and adjust drive belts. Do not adjust auto-tensioner type.

Exhaust System Notes

Fluid - A/T Notes

Check fluid level.

Fuel Supply Line Notes

Heating and Air Conditioning Notes

Manual Transmission/Transaxle Notes

Check fluid level.

Power Steering Line/Hose Notes

Steering Notes

Suspension Notes

Replace

Air Filter Element (E) Notes

Crankcase Filter (E) Notes

Engine Oil Notes

If your mileage is less than 7,500 miles (12,000 km) yearly, replace the engine oil filter at each oil change.

Oil Filter, Engine Notes

Spark Plug (E) Notes

(S) = Service Warranty Requirement

(E) = Emission Warranty Requirement

(B) = Both Service and Emission Warranty Requirement

2.7 bmw's are less than 60k too I forget the number but is is low too.

Anyway I dislike them too like when you talk a customer into doing the idler as well since it had a ton of miles, then the damn idler fucking breaks and bends a valve (Berto's mom's car)

Guest Removed
thats when you replace the engine if its a 2.7 chrysler :)

that was a dumb design! lets put the weep hole(for the water pump) in the crankcase!!!wtf?

i have fixxed so many of those now!*rollseyes*

chrysler recomends that the timing belts on the 3.0 be changed every 30k....... :D

and it IS an interference engine, trust me if it wasnt i wouldnt have changed the timing belt.....this is only the second one ive worked on but they are interference

try reading the manual on a 93 caravan with a 3.0 ;)

I have the 1993 factory (produced by Chrysler) service manual right in front of me, they say it isn't. I guess Chrysler was wrong when they made their manual and Haynes was right. My bad. You might want to get a more reliable source than a Haynes manual, there's a reason most shops have Alldata, Mitchell, etc.

Chrysler Mitsubishi 3.0 ( 6G72 at least ) IS an interference engine. They can be found in Dodge Stealth, Mitsubishi 3000gt, Mitsubishi Galant VR-4, some Mitsubishi Monteros......fyi. 60k timing belt and water pump replacement is recommended, as are a few guide pulleys I believe.

You're correct sir, I was just basing my statement on Chrysler built vehicles, (since we were talking about a Caravan) not the ones built by Mitsu and sold w/Chrysler badging.

You're correct sir, I was just basing my statement on Chrysler built vehicles, (since we were talking about a Caravan) not the ones built by Mitsu and sold w/Chrysler badging.

Ah, I guess that's what I get for not reading through everything :)

well since i havent been near an alldata in 2 years i guess the hanes manual will work for me.....if i knew all you guys were super informed on chrysler 3.0's one of you guys could have changed my water pump, i will not put another dime into this pile of shit unless its a turbo 2.5 swap....fuck 3.0's there junk no matter when you change the timing belt...internal water pump can lick my balls

well since i havent been near an alldata in 2 years i guess the hanes manual will work for me.....if i knew all you guys were super informed on chrysler 3.0's one of you guys could have changed my water pump, i will not put another dime into this pile of shit unless its a turbo 2.5 swap....fuck 3.0's there junk no matter when you change the timing belt...internal water pump can lick my balls

I guess you won't like that 2.5 either then its got a timing belt too

I think you should a 2.5 turbo swap, I always thought those vans were pretty unique. I have a video of a woodie Voyager smokin' a C5 Vette. I think it (the van) ran a 12.1 in the 1/4. There's nothing wrong with a 3.0, they just love to drop exhaust valve guides and then proceed to fog out entire neighborhoods....

I guess you won't like that 2.5 either then its got a timing belt too

well i have a buddy who's big into turbo dodges and the parts are easier to get for a 2.5 not to mention it wouldnt be such a tight fucking fit and like the other guys said...the water pump isnt driven off the timing

its tighter 4 cylinders longways instead of three do whatever you want I had a turbo dodge for awhile and then it cuaght on fire inside the dash

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc20/mercsidewayz/intercooler006.jpg

austins van even with the turbo and intercooler piping was roomier then my van is....i usually wont argue this because dodges arent my thing but its all he owns and he knows them well...

he said any car can catch on fire under the dash.....he owns 7 turbo dodges and hasnt had that problem even with ecu changes and building his own harnesses :asshole: