2004 GTO LS1 Dyno Tune Results

DTM Brian

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I call BS. There is no way that car gained 55 hp on a CAI, gutted cats and a tune. The chart is what it is but somethings really wrong. That's more then 04s get with CAI, catback, LTs and a tune.

I don't know what the air temperature was yesterday but I'm guessing that obviously affected the results. It will not hold up when the temp drops.

I expect the power to come down to somewhere in the 340 range (SAE Corrected) in the summertime. You will notice that the sides of the graph say actual power. The temps inside the shop were close to 50's. Now that being said. his 301 number was recorded in late october again using actual not corrected. His stock timing was around 19 BTDC at 5400 rpms. His timing is now 24-25 degrees. There is no need for me to screw with the numbers. It is what it is. I am sure there are a number of people in this thread alone that will agree that I did not do anything to mess with the numbers. Only way I could of gotten the power to go up is to put a heater inside where the weather station is for the dyno and get it up to about 150 degrees and show the numbers in SAE.

I expect the power to come down to somewhere in the 340 range (SAE Corrected) in the summertime. You will notice that the sides of the graph say actual power. The temps inside the shop were close to 50's. Now that being said. his 301 number was recorded in late october again using actual not corrected. His stock timing was around 19 BTDC at 5400 rpms. His timing is now 24-25 degrees. There is no need for me to screw with the numbers. It is what it is. I am sure there are a number of people in this thread alone that will agree that I did not do anything to mess with the numbers. Only way I could of gotten the power to go up is to put a heater inside where the weather station is for the dyno and get it up to about 150 degrees and show the numbers in SAE.

Considering that I was standing next to Brian the whole time the car was on the dyno, I'm going to have to say that he did nothing to mess with numbers. All he did was put a much better tune in the car. The car had a garbage tune in it to begin with. I don't know what car X, with mods X,Y,and Z normally puts down, but I do know what numbers this one put down. We all agreed that air temp was very good and that the numbers would probably go down 5-10 rwhp in hotter temps. I thought that the numbers seemed high, but I was extremely impressed with numbers. It wasn't like Brian waved the magic wand and presto it went from 301 to 355. He went through and progressively changed things in the tune and each time we watched the results on the graph. There is no need to call BS on this. If you choose not to believe the #'s then don't. We will just have to wait for a track to open and see how the #'s translate to E.T. and trap speed. All being said, Brian did an excellent job and he most certainly did not change any #'s.

High, yes - unreasonable / impossible - no. My LS1 dyno'd 332 RWHP with only a lid and cat-back (cats left in place and unmolested) on Brian's dyno. That was without a tune and that is a SAE corrected number. It is reasonable to believe he picked up 25 RWHP or so with a tune, no cats, and without being SAE corrected. For comparison my car dyno'd 383 SAE corrected with a cam - 393 actual RWHP (no correction). I have had my car to the track and the trap speeds validate the power Brian's dyno showed. Nice work Brian!

I'll see your BS and raise you: Years of knowing and working with Brian long enough to know he is not a shady character. We could make this thread 11 pages long with vouchers to back up Brian, his business, and his work.

Didn't even imply anything shady just that it was wrong. temperature, calibration or something else...who knows. There is the case of fat nick on LS1GTO.com who had his LS2 car dynoed and jumped from 341/337 to 383/376 with basical no changes...it was eventually resolved to be invalid. This sounds the same.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55389

Didn't even imply anything shady just that it was wrong. temperature, calibration or something else...who knows. There is the case of fat nick on LS1GTO.com who had his LS2 car dynoed and jumped from 341/337 to 383/376 with basical no changes...it was eventually resolved to be invalid. This sounds the same.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55389

You're seriously comparing a raw, uncorrected readout from a dynojet (that read within 1% of a neighboring shop's dynojet) to a dyno dynamics dyno?

I call BS. There is no way that car gained 55 hp on a CAI, gutted cats and a tune. The chart is what it is but somethings really wrong. That's more then 04s get with CAI, catback, LTs and a tune.

I don't know what the air temperature was yesterday but I'm guessing that obviously affected the results. It will not hold up when the temp drops.

Call all the BS you want I was questioned by other GTO owners down at KilKare last year when the car went 13.35@ 103.50 in 85 degree heat. The car feels alot different now so I believe the numbers.

Call all the BS you want I was questioned by other GTO owners down at KilKare last year when the car went 13.35@ 103.50 in 85 degree heat. The car feels alot different now so I believe the numbers.

Believe what you want.

You're seriously comparing a raw, uncorrected readout from a dynojet (that read within 1% of a neighboring shop's dynojet) to a dyno dynamics dyno?

I'm saying mistakes have know to have happened and anomalies usually end up being explained as was the case with fat nick. ...looking at those numbers and know nothing else about the car is I'd have immediately guessed it had LTs and a cam. ...or was an LS2

Let's see, a car puts down a decent # and a certain someone gets all pissed off about it. Maybe you are right or maybe you are just mad that the car might actually make a good # without heads, cam, long tubes, and who knows what else. Instead of posting BS all over the internet, maybe you sit back relax and see what happens later. Maybe you are right or maybe you are wrong. Either way, sit down, take a deep breath, and stop typing. What if the car put down those #'s legitimately? I would be happy for the guy, not all pissed off and saying how you are the all knowing about these cars.

Let's see, a car puts down a decent # and a certain someone gets all pissed off about it. Maybe you are right or maybe you are just mad that the car might actually make a good # without heads, cam, long tubes, and who knows what else. Instead of posting BS all over the internet, maybe you sit back relax and see what happens later. Maybe you are right or maybe you are wrong. Either way, sit down, take a deep breath, and stop typing. What if the car put down those #'s legitimately? I would be happy for the guy, not all pissed off and saying how you are the all knowing about these cars.

Grow up. This is purly educational. Read learn. No one on a GTO site who knows anything about this car would not question these numbers.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177177&highlight=Stock+04

I will gladly pay for your gas for you to come down here and watch the car get dynoed again. How is this so unbelieveable when another guy on buckeye goats with just catless mids and no tune put down 321hp 333tq in the middle of July.