samsung hd dvd/blu-ray

blue98ls1

Has anyone tried the new samsung dual format hd dvd/blu-ray player? (Model: BD-UP5000)

We currently have an hd dvd player (HD-XA2) but it broke and we have to get a replacement. And of course they no longer make the one we had originally bought. SO we're looking for something compairable price wise and spec wise. Any recommendations?

I don't like movies enough to spend $800. For $800 I'm sure movies will look great, and hooray for you, no format war.

Thats actually why I am looking at the multi-format player... no matter which one wins, its ok. ;)

However in the specs it says it does not do 6.1 TrueHD, it only does it in stereo. :confused::(

I picked up a nice 1400 before Christmas from C.City for $269. Got 8 free BD movies too! BluRay has my vote for what is going to win between the two formats. Although I do believe downloading/Pay Per View in 1080P will at some point be a reality and the Disc units will be mainly for archiving/recording.

We have the Samsung BDP-1200 at my parents house. It is a great model and i tell you blue-ray is that wave of the future, the picture is so much more robust, define, and clear. My dad got it on Ebay for $289 too! I would look into that as an option also....