Rally Racing FTW

thorne

A few of us went out and did a road rally corse today threw some part of ohio past marysville. We had a massive bad ass time. I'm talking snow/ice/dirt/gravel massive turns hills. Rally > 40 roll.

I now understand why AWD owns. I would have never been able to do this in a RWD or FWD platform.

I also learned that EBAY CAi's ftl. If I would not have had a WB I would have blown my motor as my intake broke halfway threw and I went to a 17.1 as it went into boost but I caught it. I patched it together and am about to take out the intake and put thes tock one back in.

Pics to follow.

You'd be surprised what a rwd/fwd can do out there if it has tires, I found that out at my first rallycross this past year. Playing in the dirt is damn good fun though.

and the right driver.

AWD is for people that can't handle RWD:p

and the right driver.

AWD is for people that can't handle RWD:p

This is my first AWD car. For the last 9 New England winters I've been driving RWD cars, so I'm much better with that platform. But I'll say, there's no comparison in low traction conditions. With RWD I can rotate, place, and point a car MUCH easier than I can AWD right now. But there's NO way I can get a RWD car, even with snows, to accelerate out of a turn as well as my AWD car.

Negotiating a turn in low traction conditions is essential, obviously. But you still have to get speed out of the turn and AWD can get the power down in bad conditions.

Today was a blast. It is actually my third run this week. :) The varied surfaces keep you on your toes. Though this kind of driving on clean, dry roads is really intense.

I better see you at Hocking Hills '08, Thorne!

This is my first AWD car. For the last 9 New England winters I've been driving RWD cars, so I'm much better with that platform. But I'll say, there's no comparison in low traction conditions. With RWD I can rotate, place, and point a car MUCH easier than I can AWD right now. But there's NO way I can get a RWD car, even with snows, to accelerate out of a turn as well as my AWD car.

Negotiating a turn in low traction conditions is essential, obviously. But you still have to get speed out of the turn and AWD can get the power down in bad conditions.

Today was a blast. It is actually my third run this week. :) The varied surfaces keep you on your toes. Though this kind of driving on clean, dry roads is really intense.

I better see you at Hocking Hills '08, Thorne!

just need to keep your speed up and turn right to go left.

are we doing a hocking hills trip again this year? now that the camaro is gone i really want to take the vette through there.

just need to keep your speed up and turn right to go left.

are we doing a hocking hills trip again this year? now that the camaro is gone i really want to take the vette through there.

I'd be up for any trip out there. But I was referring to the Central Ohio Subarus annual trip. For '07 there were about 40 subies. It was impressive.

http://www.theitalianjob.com/Images/piazza_and_worksminis/rovercooperbig.jpg

Score. Too bad I can't drive like that. :(

I *hate* FWD. But even I have to give the Mini respect. I don't know how the new ones match up to the classics in situations like that. But those older minis did EVERYTHING. And they did it suprisingly well for a FWD, hamster-powered, caster-wheeled, tinfoil box.

I *hate* FWD. But even I have to give the Mini respect. I don't know how the new ones match up to the classics in situations like that. But those older minis did EVERYTHING. And they did it suprisingly well for a FWD, hamster-powered, caster-wheeled, tinfoil box.

wow some reason ive always thought mini's where RWD .....stupid me.

A few of us went out and did a road rally corse today threw some part of ohio past marysville. We had a massive bad ass time. I'm talking snow/ice/dirt/gravel massive turns hills. Rally > 40 roll.

I now understand why AWD owns. I would have never been able to do this in a RWD or FWD platform.

I also learned that EBAY CAi's ftl. If I would not have had a WB I would have blown my motor as my intake broke halfway threw and I went to a 17.1 as it went into boost but I caught it. I patched it together and am about to take out the intake and put thes tock one back in.

Pics to follow.

where at in marysville? Next time you guys go out let me know, id like to just see your cars in action.

I want a TY Navi ;)

its better then GPS It's rally pace.

Yeah I want to do another one next week but i think i get home to late to do it. Yes for god sakes I will be at the HH's I want to go threw it a few times before then. It's mazing how much fun you can have under 60mph (minus catching up to the guys with there fangledee suspensions/swaybars).

HH has claimed many victims Bill, I know of an STI that was taken to a bone yard after a trip there. Be careful. That place is kinda like the Bermuda Triangle for cars and bikes. :)

The trick is not to push your limits. Last run there was only 1 spinout. An STI owner gave it too much gas around a corner, dropped a wheel and went all the way around. Scared the living daylights out of him, but he was fine. The thing was, the corner wasn't even one of the difficult ones, it was just off the highway. Overconfidence is the killer in HH.