Kitchen backsplash....?

Putty

we did this for our house in Mount Gilead.... I don't know who told you not to do it on drywall... we just bought the sheet for 20 dollars or whatever, cut it to fit, and put it up with liquid nail... it looks fantastic.

What do you mean "the sheet"? I am looking to do individual tiles and put together like a puzzle, with grout and stuff.

you can do it on drywall, but if there is going to be any moisture its best to replace the drywall with backerboard. hardibacker is your best bet. can be had at lowes or home depot for $10 for a 5' x3' sheet. use mastic wall tile adhesive. comes in a bucket, and just use a trowel to put it on. make sure you get a trowel with the correct notch depth.if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

depending on how much tile is gonna be hangin on the wall too is how you can determine if you need to put backerboard up. you need a sturdy wall to hold weight, and backerboard is no where near as flimsy as drywall.

you can do it on drywall, but if there is going to be any moisture its best to replace the drywall with backerboard. hardibacker is your best bet. can be had at lowes or home depot for $10 for a 5' x3' sheet. use mastic wall tile adhesive. comes in a bucket, and just use a trowel to put it on. make sure you get a trowel with the correct notch depth.if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

depending on how much tile is gonna be hangin on the wall too is how you can determine if you need to put backerboard up. you need a sturdy wall to hold weight, and backerboard is no where near as flimsy as drywall.

I knew someone would post and lose me. Do I just stick the backerboard on the wall and once that's on solid I attach the tile to that? Is this backerboard thick so the splash will be sticking far off the wall? Dunno what a trowel is either.

You know they make drywall that is water resistant. I used it in my bathroom when I remodeled it.

yes but its stil not very sturdy.. its still a gympsum board, with a wsemi waterresistant outer coating.

PUTTY.. youll cut out th drywall, and put the backerboard in its place.. it will be the same thickness as your drywall.. should be 1/2 inch

remember to get hardibacker 1/2"

I have done many many many backsplashes directly over drywall. It will be fine unless there is a pre-existing condition of moisture in the area you are considering. Consideration does however need to be made in ares where you would put tiles such as floors and showers. A good do it yourself idea is to buy a mastic(tile adhesive) that can also be used as a grout. These can be purchased pre mixed.

Charles, you have a new build so I'd ask the builder what they used. More than likely, they used a cement like backerboard in the kitchen around the sink and in the bathrooms around tubs/showers. Its the standard. It is supposed to be used anywhere there might be water/mist/steam. Ask to be sure though. If they did, then you're golden. Just put the tile up. Here's a good website about it though:

http://www.floorstransformed.com/backerboard.html