Learning to weld?

Rally Pat

The whip and pause motion was easiest for me when I started welding. You don't need two pieces when learning, just practice running beads across a piece of steel until you start getting consistent. You will probably start off going too fast, go slow. An auto darkening hood would also be a good investment.

Easiest way is to get someone to show you how. If you just start doing it you could develop a lot of bad habbits and you dont even know what to look for in a good weld. It is hard to know if you are doing a good job or how to get better if you are totally in the dark about it. Have someone you know explain to you what to look for in penetration and charactoristics of a good weld.

I am not totally in the dark. Ive seen more welding tutorials on Powerblock than I can count, and I work in a shop where welding is used every once in a while.

I really want to learn this for stuff like reinforcing body seams, making body repairs, custom engine mounts, ect ect.

you need to learn to weld plate steel before you try sheetmetal, its pretty hard to do with out burning through.

I wasn't planning on rushing into things, and am definitely going to start with steel plate first. Ive picked up quite a few things that are helpful, stuff like beveling edges to get good penetration.

I would have to agree with what was stated above. Finding a weld inspector (or certified welder) to teach you would be your best bet. Live demonstration and one on one feedback as you weld makes it very easy to learn. I was fortunate enough to have a great weld inspector as a professor in my welding class and it made all the difference.

I welded at the Honda motorcycle plant for about 10 months when I was going through their temporary program. I was on the final weld line and the method in which they taught us was just put us in a booth with a bunch of scrap for 2 or 3 days for 8 hours a day just practicing. In that time, I got really good and am hoping I can pick it up again here and do some shit on the side for anyone that needs it.

Bottom line, practice practice practice. Just like with anything else.

One key thing is to listen while you're welding, not just watch what you're doing. You can hear if the welds are at the right settings and if they're penetrating.

Wear proper eye and ear protection.

I am not totally in the dark. Ive seen more welding tutorials on Powerblock than I can count, and I work in a shop where welding is used every once in a while.

I really want to learn this for stuff like reinforcing body seams, making body repairs, custom engine mounts, ect ect.

I learned on sheet metal and I think it makes you better in the long run because plate is cake afterwards. Not saying that you just have no idea what you are doing but if a friend that has experience is there watching you he can tell you what to do different as you go. You will become a more proficient welder in half the time.

I learned on sheet metal and I think it makes you better in the long run because plate is cake afterwards. Not saying that you just have no idea what you are doing but if a friend that has experience is there watching you he can tell you what to do different as you go. You will become a more proficient welder in half the time.

same here. I think going from sheet metal to plate is much easier because sheet is harder.

You could post some pics of your welds so far. I know on weldingweb they critic them all the time for people. Maybe someone on here could point out something easily.

I learned to make two pieces of steel stick together and thats about all I'll say about my welding abilities. At least nothing important I've welded has broken yet, but I melted a lot of sticks to make up for not knowing what I'm doing.

Evan