another T/A ? and opinion

Reed44

Sorry if I am wearing you guys out on this stuff but I am mostly a mustang guy and trying to learn more about f-bodys. My buddy is getting headers, o/r y-pipe and a cam done soon. He wants the hooker super comp headers with the y pipe but they are alot of money. I was thinking about the pacesetter LT's with there y-pipe. What do you guys think about them? How do they compare? Any other brands? Now, what cam to use? Looking for 2k-6k power and of course a lopy exhaust note. What cam to get and will it need any thing for it to work. Thanks

Check out http://www.camaroZ28.com or http://www.ls1tech.com for good deals on used parts. I'd highly recommend getting parts used vs. buying them new.

You'll get more for your money so can get the better parts with out the higher price.

You beat me to it...I was just gonna recommend used over new.

pacesetter is the best bagn for the buck. I love my pacesetters. for a cam I would go with the ms3 unless your doing heads too, then I would go with the ms4. sign up on ls1tech.com all the info you will need will be there.

pacesetter is the best bagn for the buck. I love my pacesetters. for a cam I would go with the ms3 unless your doing heads too, then I would go with the ms4. sign up on ls1tech.com all the info you will need will be there.

Not for a 2000-6000 powerband. Look at something in the 224-228 duration for that powerband.

Some people like the PS headers, we have installed them, they do the job, just dont hold up real well it seems. Check out Melrose stuff, KOOKs or American racing, those are my favorites, fitment and horsepower gains.

As far as the cam goes, springs and pushrods are a cheap insurance for him, I have many styles in stock for the LS1, PAC, COMP, AFR. I like a lot of the Texas speed grinds, or the thunder racing grinds. I would suggest this if you want an off the shelf

Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft

"TR 220-112" - 220/220 .551/.551 112 LSA 1500-6500 RPM Power Band. Computer Tuning Required with automatic transmission cars. A very well balanced camshaft that makes excellent power across the entire RPM range. Due to the fast ramp rate of this camshaft, the use of 1.8 rockers is not recommended.

Then get comp 918's with 7.4 comp pushrods. Then get a tune!

Are you saying they rust easy? What ever headers he gets they will be ceramic coated. Will check into the other brands you metioned. Do you have any texas speed cams instock? That is the cam you suggest. I will have him give you a call probally today or tomorrow. Thanks

Are springs an such needed with this cam? Mr.Wright-I will have him call you this week or early next week to get pricing. Or pm me a estimate.

You will need springs for any of the cams you are looking at. I would go bigger than the cam Brandon is suggesting - if you are going through the effort of changing the cam then why not get the power you want? I would not go as large as the MS3 or MS4. While they are street drivable the powerband moves into a range that you have to drive it like you stole it to get the power. You don't have to change the gearing in the rearend but the MS3/4 cam wants you to. If he wants an all around good car get a cam like the one I linked - Thunder Racing makes a 228R as well. Mine is a 222/222 on a 112 LSA. I would go a lottle bigger if I had it to do all over again but not much.

^Thanks for the info. He realy likes the 228R but likes the exhuats note of the ms3. Wants to get 373's but I told him to wait untill he sprays it with those mods.

You don't need a big cam to get the lope he is looking for - I will see if I can find the clip of mine